Published: April 4, 2018 By

Student AthleteI learned something yesterday—our student-athletes are talented entrepreneurs! I had the honor of presenting one my students, Petter Reisted, with the Student-Athlete of the Year Award, earning the highest GPA amongst all of CU's athletes. From working with Petter, I certainly was aware of his entrepreneurial spirit, but as I chatted with more and more of the 300+ student-athletes at this awards celebration, I was blown away by their innovative pursuits. 

One of our basketball players started a music label and has already produced a few albums. A heptathlete created a genetic coding overlay that is easier to understand for non-technical people (I don't really understand the technology, but she was very passionate about it!). And a cross country athlete created a new material that wicks away moisture quicker for runners and athletes. Wow! 

we're going to create more paths and opportunities for our student-athletes to cultivate their entrepreneurial ambitions.

I was so inspired that these students are not only Division 1 athletes and full-time students, but entrepreneurs as well. As I left the event, I connected with one of our Associate Athletic Directors and planted a seed—we're going to create more paths and opportunities for our student-athletes to cultivate their entrepreneurial ambitions. Stay tuned …

More Deming News

Alumni Spotlight: Pete Turner - Illegal Pete's

Meet Pete Turner the President, and Founder of Illegal Pete’s! Illegal Pete’s is a Mexican restaurant dedicated to serving fast, healthy food to customers in an incredibly social environment. Pete was born and raised in Littleton, Colorado. In high school, Pete worked at several restaurants where he gained valuable experience...

Alumni Spotlight: Matt Holmes - Vela Apparel 
Staff Spotlight: David Brown - Techstars
Faculty Spotlight: David Brown - Techstars
Rich Turner
Student Spotlight: Rich Turner - Bulwark Coffee