It is easy to create a professional page. Once created, set your personal page to private so your professional page is the first place found in searches. Several job search companies are working with Facebook and more are expected to leverage the customer base soon.
Having a professional account allows you to:
Apply to jobs.
Network with businesses.
Have a professional presence.
It is important to be careful:
About photos and content.
Tone of your posts.
Who you have as connections; you can be judged on the company you keep.
Other ways to have Facebook work for you:
Join groups related to your professional interests or start your own .
Connect with industry professionals.
Recommend articles related to your job goals and interests.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/leedscuboulder
Twitter is an incredible resource to use in your job search. Post your job status updates, and follow accounts that will help with your research.
For Success, ensure your profile is:
- Accurate. One professional description.
- Exciting. One word that is not boring.
- Targeted. One niche descriptor.
- Flattering. One accomplishment.
- Humanizing. One hobby.
- Intriguing. One interesting fact or feature about yourself.
- Connected. Your company or another social profile.
Use the tools available:
- Organize your feeds into lists for ease of post management.
- Follow people who follow you and those who are in your area of interest.
- Thank people for re-tweets and respond to questions.
- Know how to use the @ and # symbols when composing tweets and stay positive.
To tweet or not:
- Will the response from the tweet be beneficial to your online presence?
- Have you checked the information facts?
- Does the tweet have a negative connotation?
- Does the content have benefit to others?
If you answered “no” to any of the above, check your motivations and make adjustments.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/leedsbiz
Remember! Nothing posted ever goes away. You can put up corrections, but the original remains.
Social Media is used by headhunters, HR professionals, and many employers to help make a difficult decision on a hire, give yourself an advantage by making sure your presence online is well developed and professional.