Published: Feb. 9, 2021
Ryan Callies

Cisco Field BDE at Tech Data

Why did you decide to come to Leeds?
Leeds was the perfect intersection of great education and location. Nowhere else can you get a world class business education in a world class environment. The mountains helped, too!

What is one thing you learned at Leeds that you will never forget?
From an educational perspective, I learned a lot about the difference between marketing and advertising. From another perspective, I learned just how intimidating a buffalo can be.

Tell us about a particular professor or mentor that influenced you while you were at Leeds.
Sherri Leopard helped me get through some tough times with accounting and finance, allowing me to see the path to where I am today. Plus, she has become a great friend!

Where has life taken you since you graduated Leeds?
I have taken on a new career path since graduating in 2013. I am now in Denver, working in Technology Sales. After a short run in traditional marketing, I gave sales a shot and found a career path I love.

What is one piece of advice/best practice that has stuck with you throughout your career?
Don't overthink things too much early in your career. The most important thing is, whatever you do, do it well. Do a good job and people will notice you. That will give you time to make an impact and find out what you really love to do.

What advice would you give to anyone interested in pursuing a career in your professional field?
Listen to your customer! Sales is about listening more and talking less.

What do you miss most about Boulder?
The nature (Flatirons) and sense of community. Luckily, I'm still in Colorado, but I would love to move back to Boulder one day.

Is there anything else you would like to share?
Be yourself and genuine and success will follow. SKO Buffs!