Koelbel - 402D
Harry Mohr Starn, Jr. is an Associate Teaching Professor at the Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado Boulder and serves as the Associate Chair of the Finance Division and Director of the Personal Financial Planner Program.
Starn received his Bachelor degree from the United States Military Academy at West Point and his MS in Finance from the University of Colorado Boulder. He was a Senior Lecturer at California Lutheran University from 2009-2017 and served as the Associate Director and then Director of their Financial Planning Program. He also served as Cal Lutheran’s Director of Distance Learning from 2013-2016.
He holds industry certifications as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). He served on the CFP Board’s Council on Education from 2012-2015, co-authored the 11th Edition of “Practicing Financial Planning for Professionals” and authored a self-help book for incoming freshman and transfer students entitled “How to succeed at a Private College or University.”
Starn has created and taught a variety of courses within the finance and financial planning disciplines, including: Introduction to Financial Planning, Risk Management and Insurance, Employee Benefits and Retirement Planning, Financial Principles and Policies, Investment and Portfolio Management, Capstone in Financial Planning, Behavioral Finance, Social Psychology of Leading Clients, Psychological-Cultural Dynamics of Communication and Persuasion and Applied Research in Financial Planning. He received California Lutheran’s School of Management Advisory Council’s Award for “Demonstrated Excellence and Outstanding Achievement in the Area of Teaching” in 2016 and the United States Distance Learning Association’s “Best Practices Bronze Award for Excellence in Distance Learning Teaching” in 2010.
- California Lutheran’s School of Management Advisory Council’s Award for “Demonstrated Excellence and Outstanding Achievement in the Area of Teaching” (2016)
- United States Distance Learning Association’s “Best Practices Bronze Award for Excellence in Distance Learning Teaching” (2010)
- Elected to the CFP Board of Standard’s Council on Education (elected as Chair 2015; Council Member 2012, 2013 and 2014)
- 2021 Joseph L. Frascona Teaching Excellence Award
- CFP® Certification, Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards
- CFA Charter, CFA Institute
- M.S., Finance, University of Colorado Boulder
- B.S., United States Military Academy, West Point