Published: March 11, 2022

Audit associate, KPMG

Hayley Porter in professional dress at a national park.Hayley Porter describes herself as a proud Buff who, despite graduating just a few years ago, is a highly active mentor to Leeds students. 

And yet, so many of her family members attended CU Boulder that, as a high school student, Porter was determined to go elsewhere—“but I did a tour of CU and I really saw myself there,” she said. 

While she was involved in plenty of activities as a student—from the Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity and mentorship programs to working with Teach for America as a campus campaign coordinator—Porter most fondly remembers the scholarship programs that gave her both financial support and a sense of community. 

“The Leeds Scholars Program was an incredible opportunity to be part of a cohort that would challenge me, in terms of being surrounded by other driven students,” Porter said. “I was shy coming into college, and the opportunities that scholarship programs gave me helped me grow and challenge myself.” 

Gold bar section divider

“The opportunities that scholarship programs gave me helped me grow and challenge myself.”

Hayley Porter (Acct’19)

In fact, she called the Diverse Scholars program “my home base at Leeds,” where she had opportunities to lead thanks to the support of upperclassmen in the program and staff at the Office of Diversity Affairs. She also was a Norlin Scholar, which helped her become more open-minded to new experiences and different perspectives.

That’s a spirit she shares with students today as a mentor. “I may not have as much experience as an alumnus from 10 years ago, but I remember what it’s like to be a student,” she said. “I can point out the courses and professors I really enjoyed, and answer questions about being a young professional.” 

Porter’s role at KPMG came about after an internship with the company. She was interested in teaching when she first came to CU, but pivoted after taking an accounting course. Like many companies, KPMG is short-staffed coming out of the Great Resignation, “so, like many others in the firm, I have taken on a senior role to support our teams,” she said. “I am proud of how I’ve stepped up to the plate.”

An avid concertgoer who can be found on a paddleboard during summer, Porter enjoys her accounting role. In the long term, she has an eye on how to create impact in the education space: “A lot of good could be done by someone who has a business background, and also a passion for education.” 

More Faces of Leeds  Why Leeds  How to Apply