We welcome applications from international and foreign students, but require some additional application materials. Please see below for required application materials and frequently asked questions.  

Do you require applicants to take the TOEFL?
Yes, we require all applicants whose native language is not English to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (we will also accept an official score from the IELTS) since a thorough and excellent command of written and spoken English is crucial to success in law school.

What is the TOEFL score requirement?
The minimum TOEFL score requirement is 100 iBT / 250 CBT / 600 PBT.

What is Colorado Law School's TOEFL reporting code?
The code is 4841.

What type of financial assistance is available to international students?
Colorado Law has no loan assistance for international students and they are not eligible for federal loans or aid. However, admitted students are automatically considered for scholarship awards. International students must submit a financial affidavit after receiving admission stating that they have the financial resources to attend law school in the United States. CU Boulder’s International Student and Scholar Services in the Office of International Education is responsible for international students' visa documents once they are admitted to Colorado Law.

I'm an attorney from a foreign country and want to get a license to practice law in Colorado. What do I need to do?
Please visit our webpage for details on obtaining a Colorado license. To seek a law degree from the University of Colorado Law School, you must apply as an entering first-year JD student and complete all the requirements for admission including taking the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). You must take the TOEFL and already possess the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree.

I have taken law courses from a law degree program from another country. Are any of these courses transferable?
In accordance with requirements of the American Bar Association (our accrediting agency), we do offer credit for study towards a law degree earned in a program in another country. You must provide a transcript from the law degree program and meet with the Dean of Academic Affairs to evaluate if/which credits will be transferrable.

How do you evaluate foreign transcripts?
We evaluate foreign transcripts to ensure that the course work completed is the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree. Applicants who have earned a degree outside the US need to have the degree verified using the LSAC JD Credential Assembly Service or a similar service (see www.lsac.org for more information).

Are international students treated on par with other students while applying for externships, internships, and placement?

Yes, international students who are enrolled as a student at Colorado Law have full access to, and support from, our Career Development office. There may be some additional maneuvering necessary for post-graduate employment in regards to Visa and employment status. For example, there are some federal and state agencies that only hire U.S. citizens. You would need to work with your employer post-graduation to determine which visa is required, as many require an employee sponsorship.