Skip to Content
Awards & Fellowships
- Barbara B. Leggate Humanitarian Award: Annual award to the staff member selected by the third-year class who has done the most to make the law school a more tolerable and humane place for students. Started as the Humanist Award in 1979 for a faculty member, it was first presented to Dean Don Sears. In 1989, it was reconceived to honor a staff member and then the Class of 2002 renamed the award to honor former registrar and six-time winner Barbara Leggate (retired, 2002).
- Clifford Calhoun Public Service Award: Awarded annually to a faculty or staff member who contributes to the public service of the Law School in the spirit and tradition of the contributions Professor Emeritus Clifford Calhoun made during his 29-year Law School career.
- Excellence in Teaching Award: Awarded by the student body of the Law School in appreciation of the outstanding and exceptional effort faculty members have made to enhance students' educational experience both inside and outside the classroom.
- Gilbert Goldstein Faculty Fellowship: MDC/Richmond American Homes Foundation established the Gilbert Goldstein Fund in recognition of alumnus Gilbert Goldstein's '42 dedication and generosity to the greater Denver legal community, which includes scholarships and fellowships to deserving Colorado Law students and faculty. The Faculty Fellowship provides funding to a faculty member to take two semesters sabbatical from teaching to complete a research project.
- Jules Milstein Scholarship Award: Given to Colorado Law faculty (tenured, tenure-track, clinical, library, and research and writing) for a substantial published work that best demonstrates excellence in legal scholarship. It is normally given once a year at the end of the spring semester for a work published at any point in the preceding two calendar years.
- Outstanding New Faculty Award: Awarded by the third-year class since 2004 in appreciation of a new faculty member who has shown great service to students and to law school life, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Sandgrund Award for Best Consumer Rights Work: Awarded every other year to a faculty member with the best electronic or print published work concerning consumer rights protection, including books, treatises, scholarly articles, bar association, legal periodical, and law review articles. The cash award was created with an endowment from alumnus Ron Sandgrund '82.
- Staff Recognition Awards & Program: Every quarter, Colorado Law encourages and rewards the dedication and professionalism of the staff while providing incentives for continued excellence and employee retention. There are six categories for formal awards recognition and one informal recognition category.