Recent CDO programs have highlighted career options in the private practice of law and provided students with information on topics related to private law firms, such as:
- Civil litigation
- Energy law
- Family law
- General practice
- Health law
- Intellectual property
- Law firm economics
- Real Estate
- Solo and small firm practice
- Succeeding in summer employment
- Transactional practice
In January, 2016, the CDO sponsored the 5th Annual JD Pathways, a career conference that brought together 95 students and 79 attorneys, over half of whom work for private law firms. The CDO also sponsors three program series to allow students additional opportunities to meet and learn from private practitioners:
- Career Perspective Series: Speakers have included representatives of Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck; Burns, Figa & Will; Polsinelli; and Pryor Johnson Carney Karr Nixon, as well as members of the judiciary with private practice backgrounds.
- Hot Jobs: Speakers have included representatives of firms in Boulder and Denver such as Alderman Bernstein; Beatty & Wozniak; Cianco Cianco Brown; Davis Graham & Stubbs; Dietze & Davis; Fairfield and Woods; Greenberg Traurig; Holland & Hart; Marsh Fischmann & Breyfogle; Onsager, Staelin & Guyerson; Patton Boggs; Sheridan Ross; and Wellborn, Sullivan, Meck & Tooley; other firms located in Colorado such as Balcomb & Green (Glenwood Springs); Law of the Rockies (Gunnison); Liley, Rogers and Martell (Fort Collins); Myatt Brandes & Gast (Fort Collins); and firms from other parts of the country such as McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore in Austin and Houston, Texas.
- Wednesday Morning Coffees: Speakers have included representatives of Condit Csajaghy in Denver; Ciancio Ciancio Brown P.C. in Broomfield; Faegre Baker Daniels in Denver; Fowler, Schimberg & Flanagan in Denver; Hunton & Williams in Dallas; Johnson & Repucci in Boulder; Joesph Law Firm in Aurora; Kennedy Childs in Denver; and Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton in Denver.