Recent CDO programs have highlighted career options in the private practice of law and provided students with information on topics related to private law firms, such as:
- Civil litigation
- Energy law
- Family law
- General practice
- Intellectual property
- Law firm economics
- Solo and small firm practice
- Succeeding in summer employment
- Transactional practice
In January, 2014, the CDO sponsored the 3rd Annual JD Pathways, a career conference that brought together 60 students and 80 attorneys, over half of whom work for private law firms. The CDO also sponsors three program series to allow students additional opportunities to meet and learn from private practitioners:
- Career Perspective Series: Speakers have included representatives of Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck; Burns, Figa & Will; Polsinelli; and Pryor Johnson Carney Karr Nixon, as well as members of the judiciary with private practice backgrounds.
- Hot Jobs: Speakers have included representatives of firms in Boulder and Denver such as Alderman Bernstein; Beatty & Wozniak; Davis Graham & Stubbs; Dietze & Davis; Greenberg Traurig; Holland & Hart; Miles & Peters; Onsager, Staelin & Guyerson; Patton Boggs; Wellborn, Sullivan, Meck & Tooley; other firms located in Colorado such as Balcomb & Green (Glenwood Springs); Liley, Rogers and Martell (Fort Collins); Myatt Brandes & Gast (Fort Collins); and firms from other parts of the country such as McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore in Austin and Houston, Texas.
- Wednesday Morning Coffees: Speakers have included representatives of Condit Csajaghy in Denver; Ciancio Ciancio Brown P.C. in Broomfield; Faegre Baker Daniels in Denver; Fowler, Schimberg & Flanagan in Denver; Hunton & Williams in Dallas; Johnson & Repucci in Boulder; Kennedy Childs in Denver; and Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton in Denver.
We also host approximately 70 employers each academic year through our fall and spring On-Campus Interview (OCI) programs. Forty OCI employers in the 2013-14 academic year represented private law firms. At least 23 first- and second-year students obtained paid summer employment at law firms through the OCI process, and others secured internships during the academic year.
Diverse 1Ls at Colorado Law have the opportunity to obtain summer clerk positions at Denver-area law firms through the Colorado Pledge to Diversity Program. Eleven members of the class of 2016 obtained summer associate positions with Arnold & Porter, Brownstein Hyatt Farber & Schrek, Century Link, Dorsey & Whitney, Faegre Baker Daniels, Hall & Evans, Hogan Lovells, Jackson Kelly, Kutak Rock, Polsinelli, and Reilly Pozner.