When do I graduate? Is there a commencement ceremony in December?
The law school generally does not have a commencement ceremony in December for the 2.5 year students. Instead, students who complete their degrees in December can participate in either the May commencement ceremony that precedes their degree completion date or the ceremony in the May that follows. Many choose to participate in the commencement ceremony that follows their December degree completion date, in order to celebrate and “walk” with their incoming class.

When should I take the bar and MPRE?
Most students who graduate in December sign up to take the February bar exam. As for the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE), you may want to think carefully about the timing of taking (and possibly re-taking) the MPRE. Most students opt to take the MPRE before they take the bar exam. The MPRE is generally offered in March or April, August, and November of each year. You need to pass both the bar and the MPRE in order to be licensed as an attorney.

I'm on a journal. Can I still graduate in 2.5 years? 
Probably. Contact your journal editors to find out your options.

What do I need to know about financial aid and completing my degree in December?
Financial aid exit counseling is available to all students graduating in December. You can request an appointment by sending an email to one of our financial aid counselors at lawfinaid@colorado.edu. We encourage all graduates to make the time to meet and discuss their financial aid in-depth prior to the end of your last semester. Some things to keep in mind and discuss during exit counseling: December graduates should request the spring portion of their Unsubsidized Loan be designated to the fall semester and Graduate PLUS Loan aid reduced in its place if appropriate to have the lower interest rate loan available; increases to your cost of attendance can be made while you are still enrolled at least half-time (four credit hours for financial aid purposes) for certain expenses (e.g., cost of the bar exam and MPRE); options for any bar prep courses and living expenses while preparing for the exam; repayment options (we suggest income driven repayment plans); loan consolidation; and possible eligibility for our Loan Repayment Assistance Program and the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.

Federal financial aid is heavily regulated and aid options become extremely limited once you complete the JD program. It is essential that you make time to meet prior to the last day of classes in the semester, in which you will graduate.

I got a scholarship for 3L year.  What will happen if I graduate in December?
Scholarships are awarded in amounts that assume full-year enrollment (i.e., enrollment in at least nine credits during both the fall and spring semester). If you graduate in five semesters, you will not receive your sixth semester scholarship. We hope that the tuition saving associated with pursuing your degree in 2.5 years eases the financial burden of law school. If you have questions about your scholarship, please email the Admissions Office at law.admissions@colorado.edu.

If you have additional questions, contact law.studentaffairs@colorado.edu.