Published: Feb. 11, 2022

Meet 3L Clement Asante! Clement, a member of the Colorado Technology Law Journal, currently serves as Chair for the Hogan Lovells CU/DU Crosstown Cup for the Barrister's Division of Mock Trial. He is also involved in the Black Law Students Association (BLSA) and serves on the Admissions Committee of the Council for Racial Justice and Equity. 

Portrait of Clement Asante '22Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with us.

No problem!

Why did you choose Colorado Law for your legal education?

Well, I moved with my sister from Ghana to join our mother in Denver and fell in love with the state. I went to CU for undergrad where I had some of the best memories of my life. It was a no-brainer that when I decided to go to law school, Colorado Law was my first choice. 

What, if anything, has surprised you about your law school experience? 

The people I've met have made all the difference. My friends, professors, and my supervisors and mentors have all been supportive, welcoming, and have challenged me to be a better man and lawyer.

Do you have a favorite fictional lawyer? 

Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil. He fights for the less fortunate in society, and he sees the best in humanity, even the most flawed.

If you could change one law today, what would it be and why?

Education being tied to property value. As Nelson Mandela once said, "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." I strongly believe that every child has the right to equal education, regardless of their socio-economic status. Knowledge is power and power brings freedom and liberation. We must equal the playing field, so that every student has the tools and resources they need to succeed in this world.