This page is for current AREN/CVEN students who wish to take a course at another institution (usually over the summer). For information about transferring previous coursework or AP/IB credit, please visit the Transfer Credit page in the Prospective Student section.

All students should be aware of College and University policies regarding acceptance of transfer credit.

Important notes

  • Students within 45 credit hours of graduation must petition to waive the College Residency Requirement for any transfer course.  Petition guidelines are available here.
  • Courses will only transfer to CU Boulder with a grade of C- or higher.
  • You will be responsible for making up any difference in credit hours between the transfer credit you receive and the CU Boulder course.
  • If your summer transfer course is a prerequisite or co-requisite for a fall course, talk to your academic advisor about how you can get enrolled for fall.

Continuing students planning to take classes at another institution are encouraged to get pre-approval, to ensure that the transfer credits will apply to degree requirements.

Use Transferology to see if the course you've chosen is pre-approved, or to search for a list of pre-approved courses.

If you're having trouble, contact your academic advisor for help.  Include the name of the institution and the course number in your e-mail.

The Community College Transfer Matrix is a quick way to find some common transfer courses offered by Colorado community colleges.

 Even pre-approved courses may transfer as a different number of credits than the CU Boulder course.  You will be responsible for making up any credit shortage.

If the course you want to take is not pre-approved for transfer, you should seek pre-approval to make sure it will be accepted.

Arts & Sciences courses (including math, chemistry, physics, etc.) are reviewed via the College of Arts & Sciences Transfer Course Preapproval Form.

Engineering and computer science courses are reviewed via the CEAS Transfer Credit Review Form.

For other courses, contact your academic advisor for guidance.

After you have successfully completed your transfer course(s), request that an official transcript be sent directly to the CU Boulder Admissions Office ( Your transcript must be processed, and the credit posted to your student record, before it can be counted toward your degree requirements.

Graduating seniors: if your transfer credit is not posted on time, you will need to re-apply for graduation the following semester. Ask your academic advisor about these deadlines.