The Bachelor’s–Accelerated Master’s (BAM) degree program options offer currently enrolled CU Boulder undergraduate students the opportunity to receive a bachelor’s and master’s degree in a shorter period of time. Students receive the bachelor’s degree first, but begin taking graduate coursework as undergraduates (typically in their senior year).

Because some courses are able to double count for both the bachelor’s and the master’s degrees, you will receive a master’s degree in less time and at a lower cost than if you were to enroll in a stand-alone master’s program. In addition, staying at CU Boulder to pursue a bachelor’s–accelerated master’s program enables you to continue working with your established faculty mentors.

Our Programs:

  • BS in Architectural Engineering, MS in Architectural Engineering or Civil Engineering
  • BS in Civil Engineering, MS in Architectural Engineering or Civil Engineering
  • BS in Environmental Engineering, MS in Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering

Admissions Requirements

In order to gain admission to the BAM programs named above, you must meet the following criteria at the time of application:

  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Have no MAPS deficiencies
  • Have at least junior class standing (based on taking junior-level courses in the BS program)

Program Requirements

You may take up to and including 12 hours while in your undergraduate program which can later be used toward the master’s degree. However, only 6 credits may be double counted toward the bachelor’s and master’s degrees. You must apply to graduate with your bachelor’s degree, and apply to continue with your master’s early in the semester in which your undergraduate requirements will be completed. 

NOTE: Students who were admitted prior to July 2019 follow a concurrent Bachelor's/Master's structure (see below), and the two degrees are awarded simultaneously when requirements for both degrees are met.

Applying to the BAM Program

  • Eligible students may apply for the BAM program by completing the BAM Intent Form.
  • Required Supporting Documents (please upload under “Upload supporting documents required by Department” when completing the BAM Intent Form):
    1. A one-page statement of purpose describing your academic/career goals and interests in pursuing a BAM program
    2. A copy of your unofficial undergraduate transcript (available on Buff Portal)
  • Deadline to Apply
    • ​Students are encouraged to apply in their junior year in order to plan coursework appropriately
    • Students graduating with their BS degree in May or August can apply until November 1st of their final year in the BS program
    • Students graduating with their BS degree in December can apply until April 1st of their final year in the BS program
  •   Application Deadlines:
    • November 1st  – to be accepted for the spring semester
    • April 1st  – to be accepted for the fall semester​

Graduation forms for BAM students

  • The following forms must be submitted in the final semester of your undergraduate degree:
  • Deadlines to submit these forms are as follows:
    • February 1 for May graduates
    • March 1 for August graduates
    • October 1 for December graduates


Undergraduate students should contact their academic advisor (for the BS program) to learn more about BAM programs offered with their particular undergraduate degree program.  Students are also welcome to contact the relevant graduate program advisor (for the MS program) to learn more about the master’s program and to determine their eligibility for admission to the BAM program.

More information about BAM programs, policies, and forms may be found on the Registrar’s Office website.


Former Concurrent Bachelor’s Master’s Degree Program (not accepting new applications)

Undergraduate students admitted into this program will be allowed to use up to a maximum of 6 graduate units for both the BS and the MS degrees if the student can maintain a 3.5 GPA or above in their immediate next 24 credit hours (2 semesters, cumulatively) after entering the joint degree program.

Graduation Forms for BS/MS Students