The Bachelor’s–Accelerated Master’s (BAM) degree program offers currently enrolled CU Boulder undergraduate students the opportunity to receive a bachelor’s and master’s degree in a shorter period of time. You will receive the bachelor’s degree first, but begin taking graduate coursework as an undergraduate (typically in your junior year). Because some courses are allowed to double count for both the bachelor’s and  master’s degrees, you will earn a master’s degree in less time and at a lower cost than if you were to enroll in a stand-alone master’s degree program after completion of your baccalaureate degree. In addition, staying at CU Boulder to pursue a bachelor’s–accelerated master’s program enables you to continue working with your established faculty mentors.

Our Program:

  • BS in Environmental Engineering plus an MS in Environmental Engineering, MS in Civil Engineering, or MS in Mechanical Engineering

Admissions Requirements

In order to gain admission to the BAM program named above, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for the BAM program in Environmental Engineering and Civil Engineering
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher for the BAM program in Mechanical Engineering
  • Have no MAPS deficiencies
  • Have at least junior class standing

Program Requirements

You may take up to and including 12 hours while in the undergraduate program which can later be used toward the master’s degree. However, only 6 credits may be double counted toward the bachelor’s and master’s degree. You must apply to graduate with the bachelor’s degree and apply to continue with the master’s degree early in the semester in which the undergraduate requirements will be completed. 

NOTE: Students who were admitted prior to July 2019 follow a concurrent Bachelor's/Master's structure (see below), and the two degrees are awarded simultaneously when requirements for both degrees are met.

Applying to the BAM Program

  • Eligible students may apply for the BAM program by completing the "BAM Intent Form"
  • Required Supporting Documents (please upload under “Upload supporting documents required by Department” when completing the BAM Intent Form)
    1. A one-page statement of purpose describing your academic/career goals and interests in pursuing a BAM program
    2. A copy of your unofficial undergraduate transcript (available on Buff Portal)
  •   Application Deadlines:
    • November 1  – to be accepted for the spring semester
    • April 1  – to be accepted for the fall semester

Graduation forms for BAM students

  • Master's Continuation Form - submit this form during your last semester of your undergraduate degree.
  • BAM Supplement Form - Submit this form to identify which courses you're double counting and which you're using toward the master's degree.
  • Deadlines to submit this form are as follows:
    • October 1 for fall graduates
    • February 1 for spring graduates
    • March 1 for summer graduates


Undergraduate students should contact their academic advisor (for the BS program) to learn more about BAM programs offered with their particular undergraduate degree program.  You are also welcome to contact the relevant graduate program advisor (for the MS program) to learn more about the master’s program and to determine your eligibility for admission to the BAM program.

More information about BAM programs, policies, and forms may be found on the Registrar’s Office website as well as the Graduate School’s website.

Interested in Global Engineering?

Students choosing to focus on the Global Engineering and wishing to complete the Global Engineering Certificate should contact Laura MacDonald, Director of the Mortenson Center for Global Engineering.


Former Concurrent Bachelor’s Master’s Degree Program (not accepting new applications)

Undergraduate students admitted into this program will be allowed to use up to a maximum of 6 graduate units for both the BS and the MS degrees if the student can maintain a 3.5 GPA or above in their immediate next 24 credit hours (2 semesters, cumulatively) after entering the joint degree program.

Graduation Forms for BS/MS Students