Air Quality               Energy Conversion          Environmental Remediation

Applied Ecology     Chemical Processing     Global Engineering

Water Resources and Treatment  

Beginning in the spring semester of their third year, EVEN students begin a three course (nine (9) credit hours) sequence in environmental engineering. They will take one 3-credit “environmental engineering design” course from those in list A and two additional (6-credits) “environmental engineering upper-division technical elective” courses from list B (or a second from list A, no double counting).*
*Effective only for students graduating in December 2016 and later

List A – Environmental Engineering Option Courses - at least one course from this list (faculty can petition to add additional courses)

  • CVEN 3424 Water and Wastewater Treatment (pre-req CVEN 3414, Spring) Introduces design and operation of facilities for treatment of municipal water supplies and wastewater. Involves an integrated design of whole treatment systems combining process elements
  •  CVEN 4474 Hazardous Waste Management (pre-req CVEN 3414, intermittent) Requires team design project for site remediation, including alternatives assessment; about 20% of course grade based on that project
  • CVEN 3323 Hydraulic Engineering (pre-req fluids, Fall) Topics include incompressible flow in conduits, pipe system analysis and design, open channel flow, flow measurement, analysis and design of hydraulic machinery [course also includes a lab component]
  • CVEN 4323 Water Resource Engineering Design (juniors/seniors, Fall) Studies principles and techniques of water resources engineering design. Introduces environmental modeling under uncertainty, stormwater design, precipitation estimation, and flow routing MCEN 3032 Thermodynamics 2 (junior/senior; pre-req
  • MCEN 3032 Thermodynamics 2 (junior/senior; pre-req MCEN 3012 Thermo and MCEN 3021 Fluids, Fall and Spring) Offers advanced topics and applications, including thermodynamics of state, entropy and probability, thermodynamic cycles, and reacting and nonreacting mixtures. Provides application to engines and power generation by conventional and alternative energy technologies. Most assignments are design oriented.
  • ENEN 4600 Energy Engineering Projects (3) (offered fall semester only, prereqs: ENVS 3621 and CHEN 3660 (C grade needed) Restricted to ENMR-MIN Prepares students to analyze energy systems from technical, economic, and policy perspectives, with project topics varying by semester. Provides historical and contemporary context of the energy landscape. Emphasizes application of engineering fundamentals for the design and evaluation of real world energy systems. Projects will be completed in interdisciplinary teams.
  • CHEN 3220 Chemical Engineering Separations and Mass Transfer (prereqs: CHEN 3200 and CHEN 3320, Spring) Studies separation methods including distillation, absorption, and extraction, and graphical and computer-based solutions to separation problems. Applies mass transfer rate theory to packed and tray columns.

List B Environmental Engineering Technical Electives (upper-division)- at least two courses from this list (or a second from list A, no double counting). Faculty can petition to add additional courses:

Students are encouraged to select courses that meet their career goals and interests.  This may include courses within a similar theme, or cross-cut a breadth of environmental engineering topics. As such, this list is organized under various specialization topics within environmental engineering.  Environmental engineering design courses from List A also fit under these various specialization topics.
It can be critical that early in the curriculum that students pay careful attention to pre-requisites for these technical electives.  All courses that are numbered 5000 or above are graduate level courses and can only be taken with instructor permission; students should consult carefully with their advisor before selecting a graduate level course.  Graduate level courses are good options for double-counting for students admitted to the BS/MS program.