AdvisingThe faculty and staff have a true commitment to education and want to see students succeed. However, you, the student are ultimately responsible for ensuring that all graduation requirements have been satisfied; and for seeking out the advice and help you need. To assist in this, students have access to both faculty and staff advisors. The EVEN program’s Undergraduate Academic Advisor can assist you with many questions about the curriculum.
During your freshman and sophomore years you will be advised by the Academic Advisor and in your junior and senior years you will be advised by the Faculty Advisors.  However, beginning in your freshman year you will be assigned a Faculty Mentor in order to gain advice from a faculty member early on.

Each Fall and Spring semester, just prior to the registration period for the following semester, students are required to meet with their advisors for academic counseling.

Students must make an appointment with their faculty/academic advisors during the advising period. Faculty advisors will give meetings with advisees high priority during this time. In preparation for the meeting, students should assemble a proposed course plan for the following semester using the Guidelines and the course schedule for the following semester.

During the advising meeting, students must discuss their proposed course plan with their advisor. Faculty/academic advisors will record course selections on the Degree Requirements Worksheet.  Advisors will also be available to counsel the students on academic performance, long-term course plans, graduation requirements, career planning, and any other personal issues that affect the students’ education. At the conclusion of the meeting, the faculty advisor will sign the students' academic file certifying that advising has been done.

After the advising meeting, students are required to fill out an Advising Evaluation Form to provide feedback on the advising process. This form must be submitted to the Academic Advisor. Once the Advisor has received a student's academic file with the signature of the faculty advisor (from the faculty advisor) and the Advising Evaluation Form (from the student), the Advisor will "raise the flag" to allow the student to register.

Many academic advising questions pertain to the "logistics" of course scheduling and registration. Most of these questions should be directed to the Academic Advisor instead of the faculty advisors. The Advisor will provide assistance on procedural questions involving registration, degree plans, graduation requirements, and the petition process. In addition, the Advisor will help students determine whether a particular situation should be discussed with their faculty advisor.

Program Contact with Students

Official notices to students concerning Environmental Engineering Program advising, curriculum, registration, graduation requirements, and policies will be made by e-mail. By default, official notices will be sent to your University e-mail address as listed on the student directory on the web. The EVEN Program cannot be responsible for information sent to abandoned e-mail addresses. To reiterate, the Program is required to notify you only at your University e-mail address.

Academic Records

An official Environmental Engineering Program academic file will be maintained for each student by the Academic Advisor. This file will contain copies of official documentation related to academic history and progress. The Environmental Engineering Academic Advisor and faculty advisors will strive to provide you complete, timely, and accurate academic advising, but ultimately, the responsibility of meeting graduation requirements is yours. Consequently, you should ensure that all copies of relevant paperwork are present in your academic file and that you keep your own copies of critical information.

Additional Advising Resources

Students may also be referred to various College of Engineering and Applied Science and University of Colorado counselors for certain issues. Many of the College's student support services are listed on the College web page. At the University level, students may consult with the following groups: