What makes ChBE one of the top research departments in the country?
9 faculty with h-index > 40*
6 faculty with h-index > 50*
• 14th among all graduate programs**
• 8th among public graduate
• 2nd in new grants per faculty***
• 5th in total value of new grants
• 8th in Faculty Scholarly
• 10th in publications per faculty***
• 10th in citations per faculty***
• 10th in citations per paper***
• 2013 research expenditures
per faculty = $572K
• Read about recent notable papers
• Biorefining and biofuels (C2B2)
• Renewable and sustainable
• Pharmaceutical biotechnology
• Membrane separations (MAST)
• BioFrontiers Institute
• 13 successful start-up companies
based on ChBE research
• Read about recent notable patents
• 18/22 TTT faculty have won ≥1
national research awards
• Average incoming grad student
• 14 NSF Graduate Fellows
• 6 NIH Fellows
• 24 alumni who are university
• ChBE's facilities built in 2012:
Jennie Smoly Caruthers
* Based on Google Scholar data
** U.S. News & World Report (2015)
*** Chronicle of Higher Education (2011)
• Screencasts (over 2 million views)
• ConcepTests and peer instruction
• Interactive simulations
• Thinking aloud pair problem solving
• Flipped classrooms
• Interactions with industry
• In-class worksheets + recitations
• 70% of ChBE undergrads
• Indep Study, Senior Thesis,
Discovery Learn, UROP
• Study Abroad
• Honors Program
• BS/MS program
• 15/28 faculty have won ≥1
• 2 degrees
• Chem Eng
• Chem & Bio Eng
• 4 options
• Pre-med curriculum
• AIChE, OXE, SWE, BMES
• Engineers Without Borders
• Earth Explorers
• AP Prep Tutoring Program
• Many other high school
In the 110 years that a chemical engineering (CHEN) curriculum has been offered at CU-Boulder, a lot has changed.
ChBE students and alumni mentors met in February at Fate Brewery in Boulder. From left, Andrew Darress (CBEN senior), Adrienne Blum (ChemEngr ‘11), Richard Noack (CHEN junior), Ryon Tracy (ChemEngr ‘12), and Joe Poshusta (ChemEngr PhD‘99).
When the founders of OPX Biotechnologies were formulating the company, they turned to Vern Norviel for help.
Associate Professor Adjunct Hans Funke and CHEN senior Brennan Coffey volunteered to teach middle school students about zeolite membranes and their use in separating gases. The media? Video. The organization?
Mar 19 - Energy Frontiers 2015
Apr 17-19 - 2015 Rocky Mountain Student Regional Conference
Hosted by CU-Boulder
May 9 - CU Commencement Ceremony
Congratulations to all the honorees at this year's ChBE Awards Banquet!
Undergraduate Duncan Chadly has received the 2014 Genentech Outstanding Student Award. This award includes both a scholarship and an optional summer internship.
Chemical engineering student and varsity Cross Country Team member Rachel Viger has been honored with a number of awards as she finishes up her undergraduate career.
Kayla Weston has been awarded the Colorado Engineering Council’s 2014 Silver Medal, the top honor given annually to a graduating senior.
Undergraduate students Elizabeth Horneber and Brandon Lin were both honored as exceptional graduates by the College of Engineering & Applied Science.
ChBE graduate students Ian Marozas and Colleen Courtney have both been chosen to receive NSF Fellowship Awards, while Keesha Erickson is the recipient of an NSF Honorable Mention. Marozas has also been awarded a Ford Fellowship.
ChBE undergraduate student Jhenya Nahreini has been chosen as the College of Engineering's December 2013 Outstanding Graduate of the College.