Associated Faculty: Cha, Chatterjee, Davis, Fox, Goodwin, Gupta, Hayward, Heinz, Holewinski, Hrenya, Marder, McGehee, Medlin, Musgrave, Nagpal, Schwartz, Smith, Toney, Weimer
- Genome-engineering to improve cellulosic biofuels production.
- Designing new catalysts and electrocatalysts for selective conversions in renewable and sustainable energy applications.
- Utilizing enzymes in ionic liquids to convert biomass to biofuels.
- Quantum simulations to discover and design materials for the conversion and storage of energy.
- Thin film materials and membranes to obtain high-purity hydrogen for fuel cells.
- Design of solar cells and solar-thermal chemical reactors/receivers to produce high purity hydrogen.