Master of Arts
- 30 credit hours
- All students must fulfill the residency requirement. In general this can be fulfilled by either two full-time semesters or four part-time semesters of study. A full-time program is defined as 5 credit hours of coursework at the 5000 level or higher, 8 credit hours of total coursework or at least one credit hour of thesis research.
- In the second year of graduate study, students will select either the MA portfolio option or the MA portfolio with thesis option.
- Students who complete the MA program in religious studies will have a broad understanding of the field, with special emphasis on issues of theory and method, as well as in-depth knowledge of their chosen area of specialization.
- GRE results are optional; not submitting a GRE score will not be held against your application.
- International applications: Dec. 15.
- U.S. applications: Jan. 3.
For program details, review the course catalog for the MA in religious studies.
Dual MA Program
The Department of Religious Studies participates in a dual master’s degree program with the Department of History and the Department of Asian Languages and Civilizations. Students interested in exploring this option should contact the graduate director of the department for specific requirements.
For program details, visit the department's dual MA webpage.