Receive up to $125,000 to develop your invention
Showcase your invention to the business community
Refine your commercial strategy
Funding and Training to Advance Your Invention
Through the Lab Venture Challenge (formerly known as the Advanced Industries Accelerator “AIA” grant program), Venture Partners at CU Boulder funds the top innovations showing high commercial potential, a clear path to a compelling market, and strong scientific support.
In just the last 3 years, more than 20 commercially promising projects at CU Boulder have received funding through this program. Those same awards are associated with 16 new startup companies, with many having already raised further capital, demonstrating a powerful way to advance innovative research and translate it into impactful business ventures.
Up to $125,000 (including 8% F&A) is available per award in total costs, consisting of two subcategories:
In order to apply and be considered for Lab Venture Challenge, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The subject innovation must fall within one of the seven defined areas: advanced manufacturing, aerospace, bioscience, electronics, energy and natural resources, infrastructure engineering, or technology and information.
- An invention disclosure form for the subject invention must be received by Venture Partners at CU Boulder by July 15. UCCS investigators are eligible to apply. CU Denver investigators in physical sciences and engineering are eligible to apply. CU Denver investigators in biomedical disciplines and all CU Anschutz investigators should apply with CU Innovations.
- The applicant must be an eligible principal investigator. To check for eligibility, click here.
- If the applicant has received a prior award under AIA or LVC for the same invention that is the subject of a 2019 LVC application, the total amount of funding, including the present application plus the prior award(s), cannot exceed $200,000.
- If the invention is already licensed/optioned, the licensee/optionee company cannot have raised more than $500,000 in investment capital.