Medical mechatronics, medical device design, surgical robotics
Mark Rentschler’s research is focused on fundamental understanding of key questions to enable intelligent medical devices and surgical robotics which are, in turn, setting a foundation for patient-specific medical care and ultimately leading toward an operating room of the future. These efforts include design of novel surgical tools, devices, and robotics; characterization and modeling of how these tools, devices, and robots interact with the patient; and optimization based on these models.
Through our research we strive to improve the quality of life for people by reducing surgical and medical procedure invasiveness, improving physician’s capabilities, and reducing overall medical costs.
- Formosa, G.A., Prendergast, J.M., Edmundowicz, S.A., Rentschler, M.E., “Novel Optimization-Based Design and Surgical Evaluation of a Treaded Robotic Capsule Colonoscope,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics. 36(2): 545-552, 2020.
- Johannes, K.G., Calahan, K.N., Qi, Y., Long, R., Rentschler, M.E., “Three-Dimensional Microscale Imaging and Measurement of Soft Material Contact Interfaces Under Quasi-Static Normal Indentation and Shear,” Langmuir. 35: 10725-10733, 2019.
- Lauff, C., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., "What is a prototype? What are the roles of prototypes in companies?" ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 140(6): 061102 (12 pages), 2018.
- Fankell, D.P., Regueiro, R.A., Kramer, E.A., Ferguson, V.L., Rentschler, M.E., "A Small Deformation Thermo-Poromechanics Finite Element Model and its Application to Arterial Tissue Fusion," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 140(3): 031007 (11 pages), 2018.
- Fankell, D., Kramer, E., Cezo, J., Ferguson, V.L., Taylor, K.D., Rentschler, M.E., "A Novel Parameter for Predicting Arterial Fusion and Cutting in Finite Element Models," Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 44(11): 3295-3306, 2016.
- Francisco, M., Terry, B.S., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "An Intestinal Manometry Force Sensor for Robotic Capsule Endoscopy: An Acute, Multi-Patient In vivo Animal and Human Study," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 63(5): 943-951, 2016.
Select Accomplishments & Awards
- National Academy of Engineering’s US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Participant, 2019
- University of Colorado Research & Innovation Office Faculty Fellow, 2019
- ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering Editor’s Choice Paper, 2018
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2018
- Elected Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2018
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Educator Award, 2018
- IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Top 5 Paper by IEEE Spectrum Magazine, 2017
- College of Engineering and Applied Science Dean’s Performance Award for Outstanding Junior Faculty, 2016
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Undergraduate Educator, 2016
- University of Colorado Provost’s Faculty Achievement Award, 2015
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Woodward Outstanding Faculty Award, 2015
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Educator Award, 2014
- College of Engineering and Applied Science Charles Hutchinson Memorial Teaching Award, 2013
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Education Award, 2012
- University of Colorado Outstanding Graduate Student Mentor Faculty Award, 2012
- University of Colorado New Inventor of the Year, 2009