Medical Mechatronics, Medical Device Design, Surgical Robotics Systems and Control
Mark Rentschler’s research is focused on medical mechatronics and surgical robotic systems, design and control. These interdisciplinary efforts include design of novel surgical tools and devices, characterization and modeling of how these tools and devices interact with the patient, and design and control optimization based on these models. Research areas include surgical robotic-assist devices, surgical tools, and non-invasive sensory measurement devices.
Through our research we strive to improve the quality of life for people by reducing surgical and medical procedure invasiveness, improving physician’s capabilities, and reducing overall medical costs.
- Lauff, C., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., "What is a prototype? What are the roles of prototypes in companies?" ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. 140(6): 061102 (12 pages), 2018.
- Kern, M.D., Long, R., Rentschler, M.E., “A Representative Volume Element Model for the Adhesion between a Micro-Pillared Surface and a Compliant Substrate,” Mechanics of Materials. 119: 65-73, 2018.
- Fankell, D.P., Regueiro, R.A., Kramer, E.A., Ferguson, V.L., Rentschler, M.E., "A Small Deformation Thermo-Poromechanics Finite Element Model and its Application to Arterial Tissue Fusion," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 140(3): 031007 (11 pages), 2018.
- Fankell, D., Kramer, E., Cezo, J., Ferguson, V.L., Taylor, K.D., Rentschler, M.E., "A Novel Parameter for Predicting Arterial Fusion and Cutting in Finite Element Models," Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 44(11): 3295-3306, 2016.
- Francisco, M., Terry, B.S., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "An Intestinal Manometry Force Sensor for Robotic Capsule Endoscopy: An Acute, Multi-Patient In vivo Animal and Human Study," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 63(5): 943-951, 2016.
- Sliker, L.J., Kern, M.D., Rentschler, M.E., "An Automated Traction Measurement Platform and Empirical Model for Evaluation of Rolling Micro-Patterned Wheels," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 20(4): 1854-1862, 2015.
- Sliker, L., Kern, M., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Surgical Evaluation of a Novel Tethered Robotic Capsule Endoscope using Micro-Patterned Treads," Journal of Surgical Endoscopy. 26(10): 2862-2869, 2012.
- Terry, B.S., Lyle, A., Schoen, J.A., Rentschler, M.E., "Preliminary Mechanical Characterization of the Small Bowel for In vivo Robotic Mobility," ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 133(9): 091010-1-091010-7, 2011.
- 2016 College of Engineering and Applied Science Dean’s Performance Award for Outstanding Junior Faculty
- 2016 Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Undergraduate Educator
- 2015 University of Colorado Provost’s Faculty Achievement Award
- 2015 Department of Mechanical Engineering Woodward Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2014 Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Educator Award
- 2013 College of Engineering and Applied Science Charles Hutchinson Memorial Teaching Award
- 2012 Department of Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Graduate Education Award
- 2012 University of Colorado Outstanding Graduate Student Mentor Faculty Award
- 2009 University of Colorado New Inventor of the Year