Inspired by the CU Boulder IDEA Plan, the Department of Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering (CEAE) developed the CEAE Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Committee in spring 2021. The group is tasked with working on projects to foster inclusive excellence in our department.
During the 2022-2023 academic year, the CEAE JEDI team will develop suggestions in response to department-specific results from the campus culture survey.
Specifically, we plan to work on the following projects:
- Develop additional guidance for the department leadership team to foster a civil work environment and effectively address concerns amongst CEAE community members
- Compile suggestions on inclusive excellence in the classroom and distribute this to CEAE faculty
- Create platform for faculty members to acknowledge each other and build community
Since the group’s start, the CEAE JEDI Committee has accomplished the following:
- Funded additional undergraduate research assistantships for diverse candidates in collaboration with the Discovery Learning Apprenticeship (DLA) program.
- Hosted an event with the BOLD Center to discuss undergraduate research opportunities with students
- Hosted an infrastructure equity seminar series.
- Established the CEAE Inclusive Excellence webpage which discusses the department’s commitment to inclusivity and directs community members to resources.
- Created an anonymous feedback form for members of the department to provide feedback on their experiences, encouraging discussion on inclusion and equity in culture, leadership, and policy.
- Initiated a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) email campaign called the “DEI Minute”. Every two weeks, the CEAE JEDI team sends a brief email (designed to be read in one minute or less) to the department’s students, staff, and faculty on DEI topics.
Please feel free to contact a committee member if you have suggestions for projects.