Professor Emeritus • Professional Engineer (PE)
Structural Engineering & Structural Mechanics • Civil Systems
Office: ECOT 452
- S.B. Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1967
- S.M. Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1968
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Structural Mechanics), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1971
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow, Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE, elected 2021
- American Society of Civil Engineers Lifetime Achievement Award in Education, 2019
- Charter Fellow, Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE, elected 2013
- ASCE Distinguished Member, elected 2011
- Jefferson Science Fellow, U.S. Department of State, 2008-2013
- University of Colorado Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence in Teaching Award, 2006
- International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability, Distinguished Research Prize, 2005
- CU Discovery Learning Center Dedication, 2002
- CU Boulder Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2000
- ASCE Maryland Outstanding Engrg Educator, 1992
- NSPE Baltimore Engineer of the Year, 1989
- ASCE Maryland Sect Civl Engineer of the Year, 1986
- ASCE Walter H. Huber Research Prize, 1984
- Northwestern Univ Tech Inst Teaching Award, 1977
- NSF Graduate Fellowship, 1967–1969
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Civil Engineering Risk and Reliaibility Assocation
- Internatinoal Assoc for Bridge Management & Safety
- International Assoc for Struct. Safety and Reliab.
- National Institute of Building Sciences
- Structural system reliability
- Probabilistic code formulation
- Societal trade-offs of risk
- Natural hazards and policy decision-making
- Ballent, Wendy, Ross Corotis and Cristina Torres-Machi (2018). “Representing Uncertainty in Natural Hazard Risk Assessment with Dempster Shafer (Evidence) Theory,” Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, Taylor and Francis, Abingdon, United Kingdom.
- Corotis, Ross (2018). “Planning for Community Resilience under Climate Uncertainty,” Interdisciplinary Issues Related to Climate Change and its Impacts, Colleen Murphy, Paolo Gardoni and Robet McKim, Eds., Springer, Cham, Switzerland.
- Nguyen, Lan, Ross Corotis, Mike Schuller and Guido Camata (2017). “Confined Masonry Shear Walls: Experimental Testing and Analysis,” The Masonry Society Journal, 35(1), 1-18, December.
- Hahn, Daniel, Ross Corotis and Emmanuelle Viaud (2016). “Multi-Hazard Mapping of the United States,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/AJRUA6.0000897.
- Bonstrom, Holly and Ross Corotis (2016). “First-Order Reliability Approach to Quantify and Improve Building Portfolio Resilience,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 142(8), C4014001.
- Elwood, Emily and Ross Corotis (2015). “Application of Fuzzy Pattern Recognition of Seismic Damage to Concrete Structures,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A Civil Engineering, December, 1(4), 04015011-1 - 04015011-12.
- Corotis, Ross (2015). “An Overview of Uncertainty Concepts Related to Mechanical and Civil Engineering,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part B Mechanical Engineering, December, 1(4), 040801-1 - 040801-12..
- Lin, Yolanda, Ross Corotis Abbie Liel (2015). “A Framework Methodology for Risk-Based Decision Making: Applications to Transportation Agencies,” ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems Part A Civil Engineering, September, 1(3), 04015006-1 - 04015006-13.
- Bonstrom, Holly and Ross Corotis (2015). “Building Portfolio Seismic Loss Assessment using the First-Order Reliability Method,” Structural Safety, 52, 113-120.
- Bonstrom, Holly and Ross Corotis (2015). “Optimizing Portfolio Loss Reduction using a First-Order Reliability Method Sensitivity Analysis,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 11(9), 1190-1198..