The University of Colorado Boulder Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET: http://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Mechanical engineering is a broad engineering discipline that incorporates skills and expertise in the areas of design, manufacturing, mechanics and thermal sciences that are essential to most sectors of industry.
Within three years...
Our program has adopted ABET Outcomes 1-7 listed as follows with each graduate of the mechanical engineering program expected to have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Accreditation is a process of continuous improvement that uses a series of assessment tools which measure how well the program is achieving the objectives and outcomes listed here. As a student, you will take part in evaluations of courses and and programs both during your academic career and after graduation as an alumnus.
You will evaluate every course you take at the end the semester, including an assessment of how well the learning objectives for the course were met. The results of these reviews are available online from the Office of Data Analytics.
Additional accreditation information is available on the College of Engineering and Applied Science Accreditation and Assessment page.