Associate Professor and Mortenson Center Director
Mortenson Center in Global Engineering • Environmental Engineering
Office: SEEC N290
- BS, Broadcast Journalism (Honors), University of Colorado Boulder, 2006
- BS, Aerospace Engineering Sciences, University of Colorado Boulder, 2006
- MS, Aerospace Engineering Sciences (Bioastronautics), University of Colorado Boulder, 2006
- PhD, Aerospace Engineering Sciences (Bioastronautics), University of Colorado Boulder, 2009
- MPH, Masters in Public Health, Oregon Health and Science University, 2014
Honors and Distinctions:
- Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center Residency Fellowship, 2015
- NASA Johnson Space Center Fellowship, 2008-2009
- Finalist, Canadian Astronaut Selection, 2017
- University of Colorado at Boulder Kalpana Chawla Outstanding Recent Alumni Award, 2015
- University of Colorado at Boulder College of Engineering Recent Alumni Award, 2015
- Portland State Impact Entrepreneurs Entrepreneurship Award, 2014
- NASA-JSC Engineering Achievement Medal, September 2007
- International EnergyGlobe Awards, Rwanda National Award, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Engineers Without Borders-USA Humanitarian Award, 2004
- Water and air testing and treatment applied in developing communities through to operational spacecraft.
- Remote sensing and "Internet of Things" technologies for monitoring of water, sanitation and energy resources.
* indicates graduate student
- *Turman-Bryant, N., *Fankhauser, K., Clasen, T., Thomas, E., “Measuring Progress Toward Sanitation and Hygiene Targets,” Waterlines, 2018.
- *Barstow, C., *Kirby, M., Clasen, T., Thomas, E., “Health, livelihood, and environmental impacts of the distribution of a carbon-credit-financed, large-scale water filter and improved cookstove programme in Rwanda,” Case Report, Lancet Planetary Health, DOI: 10.1016/S2542-5196(18)30116-5, 2018.
- *Kirby, M., Nagel, C., Rosa, G., Umupfasoni M., Iyakareyme, L., Thomas, E., Clasen, T., “Use, microbiological effectiveness and health impact of a household water filter intervention in rural Rwanda—A matched cohort study,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 2017.
- *Delea, M., Nagel, C., Thomas E., Halder, A., Amin, N., Shoab, A., Freeman, M., Unicomb, L., Clasen, T., “Comparison of respondent-reported and sensor-recorded latrine utilization measures in rural Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study,” Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2017.
- *Bedell, E., Leslie, M., *Fankhauser, K., Burnett, J., Wing, M., Thomas, E., “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Based Structure from Motion Biomass Inventory Estimates." Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 11(2), 2017.
- Clasen, T., Zambrano, L., Rosa, G., Kirby, M., Barstow, C., Thomas, E., Nagel, C., “Study design of a cluster-randomized controlled trial to evaluate a large-scale distribution of cook stoves and water filters in Western Province, Rwanda,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, (4) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conctc.2016.07.003, 2016.
- *Barstow, C., Nagel, C., Clasen, T., Thomas, E., “Process Evaluation and Assessment of Use of a Large Scale Water Filter and Cookstove Program in Rwanda,” BMC Public Health BMC Public Health 16:584 DOI 10.1186/s12889-016-3237-0, 2016.
- Thomas, E., *Tellez-Sanchez, S., *Wick, C., *Kirby, M., *Zambrano, L., Rosa, G., Clasen, T., Nagel, C., "Behavioral Reactivity Associated with Electronic Monitoring of Environmental Health Interventions - A Cluster Randomized Trial with Water Filters and Cookstoves," Environmental Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b00161, 2016.
- *Bohnert, K., Chard, A., Mwaki, A., *Kirby, A., Muga, R., Nagel, C., Thomas, E., Freeman, M., Comparing Sanitation Delivery Modalities in Urban Informal Settlement Schools: A Randomized Trial in Nairobi, Kenya, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(12), 1189; doi:10.3390/ijerph13121189, 2016.
- Nagel, C., *Beach, J., Iribagiza, C., Thomas, E., “Evaluating Cellular Instrumentation on Rural Handpumps to Improve Service Delivery – A Longitudinal Cohort Study in Rural Rwanda,” Environmental Science and Technology (49) 24 DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b04077, 2015.