Published: July 7, 2022 By
Kyri Baker outside by a solar panel.

Kyri Baker has been honored with the John and Mercedes Peebles Innovation in Education Award from the College of Engineering and Applied Science.

The award recognizes CU Engineering faculty who have shown a unique commitment to students demonstrated through innovations in education.

Baker, an assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, joined CU Boulder in 2017.

“I consider teaching one of the most important and meaningful parts of my job, and one aspect that I truly enjoy and look forward to,” Baker said. “I've worked really hard on trying to figure out simple and straightforward ways of describing basic concepts. If possible, I try to relate concepts to things that students may interact with in their daily lives, so the material seems more tangible to them.”

Students nominate faculty for the Peebles award and the nomination comments for Baker highlight her drive, ability to build connections with the course materials, and sense of humor:

"This faculty member constantly goes above and beyond by constantly making class something that I truly look forward to. Her work ethic is phenomenal, and she goes above and beyond with being a good resource along with a good instructor.”

“One of the most engaging classes I have ever had was taught by Dr. Baker. She made me learn a lot on a subject I was not very confident at, but with her teaching style I managed to pull through the course – which was circuits – and be very confident in that subject.”

“By far the only professor I had I where I never wanted to skip class and would always go to her class because it’s always fun. And I’m glad to say that I have never missed a class yet. She is very funny and always tries to light the class up and really treat the class like its family.”

Baker has also been recognized for her outstanding research. In 2021, she received a National Science Foundation CAREER Award and CEAE Early Career Researcher Award. Her work focuses on power systems and smart grids, particularly how advanced controls and optimization methods can help integrate renewable electric generation.

The Peebles Award was endowed by John and Mercedes Peebles. John Peebles is a 1985 recipient of the Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award and former chair of the college's Engineering Development Council.