Associate Professor • Acting Associate Dean for Research
Geotechnical Engineering & Geomechanics
Office: ECOT 514
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley (2009)
- M.S. University of California at Berkeley (2005)
- B.S. Cornell University (2004)
Honors and Distinctions:
- 2021 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Price, ASCE
- 2020 Associate Editor of the Year, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics
- 2020 Provost Faculty Achievement Award, CU Boulder
- 2018 Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award, ASCE
- 2015 Outstanding Reviewer Recognition, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and GeoEnvironmental Engineering.
- 2015 Departmental Young Researcher Award, Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, CU Boulder
- 2015-16 Dean’s Faculty Fellowship, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, CU Boulder
- 2015 National Science Foundation Early CAREER Award
- 2014 Departmental Teaching Award, Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, CU Boulder
- 2009 Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, UC Berkeley
- 2004–2005 UC Berkeley Graduate Fellowship in GeoEngineering
- 2004 Magna cum Laude distinction, Cornell University
- 2004 Distinguished Leadership Award, Cornell University
- The United States Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER), member of board of directors
- Committee Member of the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE TC 104)
- Journal Editorial Board: Soils and Foundations
- Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics (EESD) Committee of ASCE
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- GeoEngineering Extreme Event Reconnaissance (GEER)
- Centrifuge Modeling
- Seismic soil-structure interaction and structure-soil-structure interaction
- Seismic response of underground structures in dense urban environments
- Consequences of liquefaction
- Performance-based design of liquefaction remediation techniques
- Interdisciplinary research involving sensing technologies and information technology in earthquake engineering
- Hwang, Y.W., Bullock, Z., Dashti, S., Liel, A.B. (2022). “A Probabilistic Predictive Model for Foundation Settlement on Liquefiable Soils Improved with Ground Densification,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics (Accepted and in press).
- Bullock, Z., Dashti, S., Liel, A.B., Porter, K. (2022). “Physics-Informed Probabilistic Models for Peak Pore Pressure and Shear Strain in Layered, Liquefiable Deposits,” Geotechnique (Accepted and in press).
- Bullock, Z., Dashti, S., Liel, A.B., Porter, K., and Maurer, B.W. (2022). “Probabilistic Liquefaction Triggering and Manifestation Models Based on Cumulative Absolute Velocity,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics, 148(3).
- Hwang, Y.W., Dashti, S., Kirkwood, P. (2021). “Impact of Ground Densification on the Response of Urban Liquefiable Sites and Structures,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002710.
- Tiznado, J.C., Dashti, S., Ledezma, C. (2021). “A Probabilistic Predictive Model for Liquefaction Triggering in Layered Sites Improved with Dense Granular Columns,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002609.
- Nagula, S.S., Hwang, Y.W., Dashti, S., Grabe, J. (2021). “Numerical investigation of liquefaction mitigation potential with vibroflotation,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Volume 146.
- Bullock, Z., Liel, A.B., Porter, K., Dashti, S. (2021). “Site-Specific Liquefaction Fragility Analysis: Cloud, Stripe, and Incremental Approaches,” J. of Earthquake Eng. and Structural Dynamics, Issue 9, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.3458.
- Hwang, Y.W., Ramirez, J., Dashti, S., Kirkwood, P., Liel, A.B., Camata, G., Petracca, M. (2021). “Seismic Interaction of Adjacent Structures on Liquefiable Soils: Insight from Centrifuge and Numerical Modeling,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering and Geomechanics, 147(8).
- Bullock, Z., Dashti, S., Liel, A., Porter (2021). “Can Geotechnical Liquefaction Indices Serve as Predictors of Foundation Settlement?” Earthquake Spectra, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/8755293021994844.
- Tsai, C., Lin, C., Dashti, S., Kirkwood, P. (2021). “Influence of Container and Loading Characteristics on the Evaluation of Soil Dynamic Properties in the Geotechnical Centrifuge,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 142, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2020.106567.
- Aghababaei, M. Okamoto, C., Koliou, M., Nagae, T., Pantelides, C.P., Ryan, K.L., Barbosa, A.R., Pei, S. van de Lindt, J.W., and Dashti, S. (2021). “Full-Scale Shake Table Test Damage Data Collection Using Terrestrial Laser-Scanning Techniques,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 147(3).
- Bullock, Z., Liel, A., Dashti, S., Porter, K. (2020). “A Suite of Ground Motion Prediction Equations for Cumulative Absolute Velocity in Shallow Crustal Earthquakes Including Epistemic Uncertainty,” Earthquake Spectra, 10.1177/8755293020957342.
- Tiznado, J.C., Dashti, S., Ledezma, C., Wham, B. (2020). “Performance of Embankments on Liquefiable Soils Improved with Dense Granular Columns: Observations from Case Histories and Centrifuge Experiments,” ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and GeoEnvironmental Engineering, 146(9).