How can I find out when I register for classes?

Please log onto Buff Portal and follow the steps listed on the Registrar's Office Registration website to access your enrollment start date/time.

It says that I have a hold on my registration. How can I find out what the hold is and how to resolve it?

This information is available in Buff Portal. After logging in, follow the steps on the Registrar's Office Holds website to access information specific to your hold and how to clear it.

If it is a Bursar's Office hold (i.e. unpaid balances, etc,) contact them - they often will lift the hold for 24 hours so that you can register for classes. Other holds usually need some sort of resolution before they can be lifted.

What classes should I take?
  • Please take a look at the AES Curriculum, which lists the courses required for the degree.
  • If you have additional questions, please contact your advisor.
  • You may also run a Degree Audit within Buff Portal to view your remaining degree requirements. More information on how to do so is available from the Registrar's Office Degree Planning website.
What should I do if I've been waitlisted or registration is closed for a class I need to graduate?


If you are waitlisted for a class, we strongly encourage you to enroll in an alternative course or an open section, as applicable, as soon as possible before the add deadline. Your academic advisor can help you review your options. While we do our best to accommodate waitlisted students, it is safer to assume that you will likely not get into a waitlisted class and plan ahead accordingly, especially in cases where it would affect your full-time student status or graduation date.

Closed Courses

Some courses have very strict room and/or lab equipment capacities. Enrollment caps are incrementally increased throughout the enrollment periods to ensure sufficient resources are available for all students. If a course that you need in order to stay on track for graduation is closed for more than a week and a waitlist or alternative section is not available, please contact your academic advisor to discuss your situation. 

Academic Success and Resources

Where can I find a list of Academic Resources including free tutoring opportunities?

Please click here to see a list of resources available through the College of Engineering Academic Support.

Sigma Gamma Tau (SGT) is the Aerospace Honors Society and they offer free tutoring for many courses. Please visit the SGT Website for more information.

Faculty Mentors

How often do I have to meet with my Faculty Mentor?

Students are encouraged to meet with their Faculty Mentor once a semester but are not required to meet with them every semester. All undergraduate ASEN students are encouraged to meet with their Faculty Mentor in the Fall semester.

Many of the sessions occur in a group setting so that you can meet upper-classmen that share similar interests in research.

Where can I find the name of the Faculty Mentor that was assigned to me and how can I contact them?

In the Student Center of Buff Portal. It is in the blue box on the right side of the page.

Graduation Information for Seniors

I'm planning to graduate this year - what do I need to do?
  • If you are planning to graduate, you must apply for graduation through Buff Portal. A step-by-step guide is available available on this website.
  • You are eligible to graduate at the end of the term in which you have successfully completed all of the requirements for the degree(s) and major(s) you are pursuing. You must apply to graduate for the term in which you complete your degree requirements. Students graduate and degrees are conferred at the end of the fall, spring or summer semesters.
Where can I find information about the graduation ceremony?

Humanities and Social Sciences

What are the requirements for Humanities & Social Science Electives and where can I find an official list?

Students need to fulfill:

  • 9 credit hours of lower-division (1000 & 2000-level courses)
  • 6 credit hours of upper-division (3000 & 4000-level courses)
  • 3 credit hour upper-division writing course.  The choices are WRTG 3030, WRTG 3035 or HUEN 3100. HUEN 1010 can only be used by students who took the course in the fall, spring, or Maymester of their freshmen year.

The total number of H&SS credit hours that need to be completed is 18 semester credit hours.

The full list of H&SS courses is available on the Engineering Advising site Humanities, Social Sciences, and Writing Requirements

I noticed that HUEN 3100 is listed as both an upper-division H&SS class as well as an upper-division writing class. Can I use this class for both requirements?

No. You must complete 6 credit hours of upper-division H&SS as well as 3 credit hours of upper-division writing for a total of 9 upper-division credits. You may not "double-dip" with HUEN 3100.

There's a class that I'm really interested in taking. How can I find out if it will count as a H&SS elective?

The easiest way to find out if a class will count as a H&SS elective is to search through this website.

I received a lot of credits from AP/IB/Transfer credit. How do I know which of those classes count towards H&SS requirements?

Please log into Buff Portal. From there, click on the “Degree Audit/ Transfer Credit Evaluation” link. Further directions on how to run your degree audit can be found by clicking here.

Writing Requirement

What classes fulfill the Writing Requirement?
  • HUEN 1010 Humanities for Engineers - Note: This course is only open to freshman students.
  • WRTG 3030 Writing on Science & Society
  • WRTG 3035 Technical Communication & Design
  • HUEN 3100 Humanities for Engineers 1
  • PHYS 3050 Writing in Physics

To get the most updated course description for each course, use the university course catalog.


I'm interested in getting a minor. Where can I find a list of classes?
Am I required to obtain a minor?

No, minors are not required. However, some minors can make you more marketable for future positions in industry.

When should I declare a minor?

If you're pretty certain that you'd like to begin taking classes for a particular minor, it's better to declare early. Once you've declared a minor then you can work with an advisor in that department to make sure you're taking the correct courses. Keep in mind that if you haven't declared a minor and the department decides to change the requirements, you will have to adjust to those requirements. Declaring early is best.

Professional Area Electives

What are Professional Area Electives (PAEs) and how many credits do I have to complete?

A professional area elective is generally a course in math, engineering, or science at the 3000-level or above. These classes are select 3000, 4000 and 5000-level math, science and engineering courses (with the exception of CSCI, ECEN, and PHYS where certain 2000-level courses are also accepted. Students can use PAE courses to specialize their degree focus.  Aerospace majors must complete 15 credit hours of Professional Area Electives.