Office: SEEC S217
Sustainability, Energy and Environment Complex
4001 Discovery Drive, Boulder, CO 80303
- PhD, University of Colorado Boulder, 2001
- MS, University of Colorado Boulder, 1998
- BCE, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996
- stream-groundwater interactions
- contaminant transport and fate
- polar earth system responses to climate change
- ecosystem processes in polar landscapes
- aquatic biogeochemical cycling
- water quality modeling
- American Geophysical Union
- Ecological Society of America
- American Society of Limnology & Oceanography
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow of the Geological Society of America, 2017
- 2012 Penn State Engineering Alumni Association Outstanding Teaching Award
- Harry West Teaching Award, 2011-2012 (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Penn State University)
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers in Engineering Education Symposium, 2011 (one of 65 selected participants from Engineering programs across the US)
- UCOWR Award for Education and Public Service to the MOCHA team, 2011
- Hartz Family Development Professorship at Penn State, 2007-2010
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor, 2004 (Utah State University)
* indicates student author
- Levy, JS, AG Fountain, MK Obryk, J Telling, C Glennie, R Pettersson, M Gooseff, and DJ Van Horn. 2018. Decadal topographic change in the McMurdo Dry Valleys of Antarctica: Thermokarst subsidence, glacier thinning, and transfer of water storage from the cryosphere to the hydrosphere. Geomorphology, 323: 80-97.
- *Wlostowski, AN, MN Gooseff, and BJ Adams. 2018. Soil moisture controls the thermal habitat of active layer soils in the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research Biogeosciences, 123(1): 46-59.
- *Webb, RW, SR Faccnacht, and MN Gooseff. 2018. Hydrologic flow path development varies by aspect during spring snowmelt in complex subalpine terrain. The Cryosphere, 12: 287-300.
- Pai, H, HF Malenda, MA Briggs, K Singha, R Gonzalez-Pinzon, MN Gooseff, SW Tyler, and AirCTEMPS Team. 2017. Potential for small unmanned aircraft systems for identifying groundwater-surface water exchange in a meandering river reach, Geophysical Research Letters, 44(23): 11,868-11,877.
- Gooseff, MN, JE Barrett, BA Adams, PT Doran, AG Fountain, WB Lyons, DM McKnight, JC Priscu, ER Sokol, C Takacs-Vesbach, ML Vandegehuchte, RA Virginia, and DH Wall. 2017. Decadal ecosystem response to an anomalous melt season in a polar desert in Antarctica. Nature Ecology & Evolution, doi:10.1038/s41559-017-0253-0.
- Fountain, AG, JC Fernandez-Diaz, M Obryk, J Levy, M Gooseff, DJ Van Horn, P Morin, and R Shrestha. 2017. High-resolution elevation mapping of the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica, and surrounding regions. Earth System Science Data, 9, 435-443.
- Geyer KM, CD Takacs-Vesbach, MN Gooseff, and JE Barrett. 2017. Primary productivity as a control over soil microbial diversity along environmental gradients in a polar desert ecosystem. PeerJ, 5:e3377
- *Singley, JG, *AN Wlostowski, *AJ Bergstrom, ER Sokol, *CL Torrens, C Jaros, *CE Wilson, *PJ Hendrickson, and MN Gooseff. 2017. Characterizing hyporheic exchange processes using high-frequency electrical conductivity-discharge relationships on subhourly to interannual timescales. Water Resources Research, 53(3): 4124-4141.
- Ward, AS, NM Schmadel, SM Wondzell, MN Gooseff, and K Singha. 2017. Dynamic hyporheic and riparian flow path geometry through base flow recession in two headwater mountain stream corridors. Water Resources Research, 53(3): 3988-4003.
- *Webb, RW, SR Fassnacht, and MN Gooseff. 2017. Defining the diurnal pattern of snowmelt using a beta distribution function. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 53(3): 684-696.