What It Is
CU guest access provides read-only, online access for guests to view select components of your education record. Guests can't make any changes to your records or complete any transactions on your behalf, and you can modify or revoke their access at any time.
A limited number of items are available through CU guest access. These include your:
grades, including your credit hours and GPA
program/plan information (e.g., programs, majors and degrees)
- unofficial transcripts
What It Isn't
CU guest access does not authorize a guest to contact the university to request or discuss your student education record. That authorization requires FERPA consent to release.
How to Set It Up
Students: How to Set Up CU Guest Access
You may grant access to an unlimited number of guests, and the record items you select can be unique for each guest. You may assign, modify or revoke access at any time.
- Log in to Buff Portal.
- Select your profile at the top right.
- Select "Account Settings," then "Profile and Privacy."
- In the pop-up menu, select "CU Guest Access."
- Select "Authorize CU Guest Access."
- Read the terms and conditions, then select "I accept."
- Enter the guest's name and email address,* then select the items you want them to be able to access.
- When you're done, select "Save."
- You'll receive a confirmation message and an email summary of the record items you've allowed your guest to view online.
*Note: The email address you use for each guest should match their LinkedIn, Facebook or Google login address; CU guest access requires guests to use one of these social media platforms to authenticate their identity.
Guests: How to Activate CU Guest Access
Creating a guest account is a two-step process. Once the student submits your credentials, you’ll receive an email listing the record components to which they've granted you access, along with a link to create your account.
Step 1: Authentication (For First-Time Users and Returning Guests)
- From the link contained in the email, visit the University of Colorado's CU Guest Access authentication page.
- You must connect your new CU guest access account to an existing LinkedIn, Facebook or Google/Gmail that matches the email address where you received the first email. If you do not have such an account, you'll need to either create one or ask the student to establish your access using a different email address.
- Follow the on-screen steps to authenticate your social media login with CU System Login (steps differ slightly for each social media provider).
- On the "Create Account" screen, enter the email address where you received the email and your first and last name. Click "Create Account."
- If a message tells you the email address is incorrect, click "OK," check your email address and try again.
- If an error message tells you an account already exists with that email address, you likely created a CU guest account earlier with a different student. Click "OK," click on the "CU Guest Access" link on the logout page and log back in with your social ID. Accept the terms and conditions and provide the security key from the most recent email.
Returning guests: The authentication is complete, and the information for your additional student should be available in CU guest access.
First-time users: If your authentication is successful, then you've finished the first step in creating your CU guest access account. You'll receive a second email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions to complete the final step.
Step 2: Activation (For First-Time Users Only)
Once you receive the second email, follow the steps below to activate your CU guest account.
- Go to the University of Colorado's CU Guest Access authentication page.
- Sign in using the same LinkedIn, Facebook or Google/Gmail account you connected to your new account in the previous step.
- On the terms and conditions page:
- Read the terms and conditions, then click the checkbox next to "I accept terms and conditions."
- Enter the security key contained in the second email.
- Enter the email address to which the email was sent.
- Click "Submit."
- You now have access to the shared information center. To exit, click "Sign out."
- Academic Calendar
- Degree Planning
- Graduation & Commencement
- Records & Privacy
- Tuition Classification
- Withdraw from the Semester