Membership in the Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band is determined solely by auditions. Each audition will be 7-10 minutes in length, and each person should have a solo or etude, prepared from the downloadable excerpts, and may be asked to sight-read. All auditions will take place in the Imig Music Building, with specific rooms listed below. Wind auditions for the CU Symphony Orchestra will take place at the same times.
Seating placement auditions for the Concert Band will be held in the first rehearsal on Monday, Jan. 14. For more information, see below.
Required Performance Attire for CU Bands
Option 1: Black tuxedo, white shirt, black bow tie, black dress shoes, and black socks.
Option 2: Floor-length black skirt, black pants (no denim), or black dress. Long-sleeved black blouse, black dress shoes, simple jewelry. No bare shoulders, necklines, or midriffs.
Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band auditions
Questions about the online sign-up process? Contact Laura Graham, Ensembles Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-492-6584.
Monday, Dec. 10
- 2-3:45 p.m. Flute/Piccolo (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
Tuesday, Dec. 11
- 11:30 a.m.-1:45 p.m. Trumpet (Download trumpet excerpts) in Imig E160
- 5-7 p.m. Trombone (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
Wednesday, Dec. 12
- Noon-1:45 p.m. Saxophones (No required excerpts. Prepare a lyrical and a technical piece of your choice.) in Imig Chamber Hall, C199
- 2-3:30 p.m. Oboes (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
- 5-6:30 p.m. Bassoons (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
- 6:45-8:30 p.m. Euphonium (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) and Tuba (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
Thursday, Dec. 13
- NEW TIME: Noon-2 p.m. Percussion (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
- 2-4 p.m. Horn (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
- 5-7 p.m. Clarinet (Excerpts TBD; contact studio professor) in Imig E160
Results will be posted on the bulletin board Friday, Dec. 14 after 12 p.m.
Regular rehearsals for the Wind Symphony begin on Tuesday, Jan. 15.
Regular rehearsals for the Symphonic Band begin on Wednesday, Jan. 16.
If you have UNAVOIDABLE conflicts for the audition, it may be possible to arrange an alternate audition time. Please contact Don McKinney at email@example.com for alternate audition information.
Concert Band Auditions
Non-music Majors: There is a band for you at CU! You are of course welcome to audition for Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band. We also offer Concert Band (EMUS 1317/3317) – a non-auditioned ensemble that meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. If you are interested in Concert Band, please contact Dr. Matthew Dockendorf at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rehearsals are Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-6 p.m. in E160. Following are important dates for the spring semester:
First rehearsal and seating auditions
Monday, Jan. 14
- 4 p.m.: Full ensemble meeting in E160
- 4:15 p.m.: Seating auditions begin
- Concert Band audition materials are TBD
- 5:15 p.m.: Rehearsal in E160
- A limited number of rental instruments are available for $20/semester
- To rent an instrument or locker, please contact Dustin Rumsey at email@example.com
Spring 2019 Performances and Dress Rehearsals
- Concert #1: Monday, Feb. 25, 7:30 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Report time: 6:30 p.m.
- Dress Rehearsal: Monday, Feb. 18, 6 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Concert #2 (Joint concert with Symphonic Band): Wednesday, April 17, 7:30 p.m., Macky Auditorium
- Report time: 6:30 p.m.
- Dress Rehearsal: Wednesday, April 17, 4 p.m., Macky Auditorium