Membership in the Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band is determined solely by auditions. Each audition will be 7-10 minutes in length, and each person should have a solo or etude, prepared from the downloadable excerpts, and may be asked to sight-read. All auditions will take place in Grusin Music Hall in the Imig Music Building. Wind auditions for the CU Symphony Orchestra will take place at the same times.
Seating placement auditions for the Concert Band will be held in the first rehearsal on Monday, Aug. 26. For more information, see below.
Required Performance Attire for CU Bands
Option 1: Black tuxedo, white shirt, black bow tie, black dress shoes, and black socks.
Option 2: Floor-length black skirt, black pants (no denim), or black dress. Long-sleeved black blouse, black dress shoes, simple jewelry. No bare shoulders, necklines, or midriffs.
Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band auditions
Questions about the online sign-up process? Contact Laura Graham, Ensembles Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-492-6584. Questions about the audition requirements/excerpts should be directed to the studio professor for that section.
Friday, Aug. 23
Saturday, Aug. 24
- 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Saxophone (Excerpts)
- 1-2:30 p.m. Oboe (Excerpts)
- 2:45-4:45 p.m. Bassoon (Excerpts)
- 6-9 p.m. Clarinet (Excerpts)
Sunday, Aug. 25
- 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Euphonium (Excerpts) / Tuba (Excerpts)
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. Flute (Excerpts)
- 5-8:30 p.m. Percussion (Excerpts)
Results will be posted on the bulletin board Monday, Aug, 26 after 12 p.m.
Regular rehearsals for the Wind Symphony begin on Tuesday, Aug. 27.
Regular rehearsals for the Symphonic Band begin on Wednesday, Aug. 28.
If you have UNAVOIDABLE conflicts for the audition, it may be possible to arrange an alternate audition time. Please contact Don McKinney at email@example.com for alternate audition information.
Concert Band Auditions
Non-music Majors: There is a band for you at CU! You are of course welcome to audition for Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band. We also offer Concert Band (EMUS 1317/3317) – a non-auditioned ensemble that meets Monday evenings from 7-9:30 p.m. If you are interested in Concert Band, please contact Dr. Branden Steinmetz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rehearsals are Mondays from 7-9:30 p.m. in E160. Following are important dates for the fall semester:
First rehearsal and seating auditions - Audition excerpts will be emailed to your colorado.edu email.
Monday, Aug. 26
- 7 p.m.: Full ensemble meeting in E160
- 7:15 p.m.: Seating auditions begin
- Concert Band audition materials are TBD
- 8:15 p.m.: Rehearsal in E160
- A limited number of rental instruments are available for $20/semester
- To rent an instrument or locker, please contact Dustin Rumsey at email@example.com
Fall 2019 Performances and Dress Rehearsals
- Dress Rehearsal: Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, 7 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Concert #1: Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, 7:30 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Report time: 6:30 p.m.
- Dress Rehearsal: Monday, Dec. 2, 2019, 7 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Concert #2 (Joint concert with Campus Orchestra): Monday, Dec. 9, 2019, 7:30 p.m., Grusin Music Hall
- Report time: 6:30 p.m.