Geotechnical Engineering & Geomechanics • Engineering Science
Office: ECOT 532
- PhD Northwestern University (2016)
- MS Louisiana State University (2012)
- BS Zhejiang University (2010)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE
- Unsaturated Soils of ASCE
- Constitutive modeling of geomaterials (soil, rock) interacting with environmental factors (adsorption, dissolution, elevated temperature)
- Micromechanics of granular materials
- Unsaturated soil behaviors
- Numerical modeling in geotechnical engineering and energy geotechnics
Publication in refereed journals
- Zhou, X., Ma, G., and Zhang, Y. (2018). Grain size and time effect on the deformation of rockfill dams: a case study on the Shuibuya CFRD. Géotechnique, published online, DOI: Link.
- Zhang, Y. (2018). Mechanics of adsorption-deformation coupling in porous media. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, published online, DOI: 10.1016/j.jmps.2018.02.009.
- Ma, G., Zhou, W., Zhang, Y., Wang, Q. and Chang, X. (2017). Fractal behavior and shape characteristics of fragments produced by the impact of quasi-brittle spheres. Powder Technology 325, 498-509.
- Ma, G., Zhang, Y., Zhou, W., Ng, T.T., Wang, Q. and Chen, X. (2017). The effect of different fracture mechanisms on impact fragmentation of brittle heterogeneous solid. International Journal of Impact Engineering 113, 132-143.
- Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2017). Breakage mechanics for granular materials in surface-reactive environments. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 112, 89-108.
- Sohn, C., Zhang, Y.D., Cil, M & Buscarnera, G. (2017) Experimental assessment of continuum breakage models accounting for mechanical interactions at particle contacts. Granular Matter 19(4), 67.
- Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2017). A rate-dependent breakage model based on the kinetics of crack growth at the grain scale. Géotechnique 67(11), 953-967.
- Gao, S., Zhang, Y.D., Sonta, A. & Buscarnera, G. (2016). Evolution of water retention characteristics of granular material subjected to grain crushing. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 142 (9), 06016006.
- Zhang, Y.D., Buscarnera, G. & Einav, I. (2015). Grainsize dependence of yielding in granular soils interpreted using fracture mechanics, breakage mechanics, and Weibull statistics. Géotechnique 66(2), 149-160.
- Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2016). Implicit Integration under Mixed Controls of a Breakage Model for Unsaturated Crushable Soils. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 40 (6). 887-918.
- Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2015). Prediction of breakage-induced couplings in unsaturated granular soils. Géotechnique 65(2), 135-140.
- Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2014). Grainsize dependence of clastic yielding in unsaturated granular soils. Granular Matter 16(4), 469-483.
- Voyiadjis, G.Z., Faghihi, D. & Zhang, Y.D. (2014). A theory for grain boundaries with strain-gradient plasticity. International Journal of Solids and Structures 51, 1872-1889.
Contributions to international and national conferences
- Zhang, Y.D., Park J.S., Gao S., Sonta A., Horin B. & Buscarnera G. (2017) Effect of grain crushing and grain size on the evolution of water retention curves. In PanAm UNSAT 2017.
- Zhang, Y. D. & Buscarnera, G. (2017). Creep of unconsolidated sand due to delayed grain breakage. In 51th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium. American Rock Mechanics Association.
- Marinelli, F., Zhang, Y.D. & Buscarnera, G. (2017) Compaction localization in granular rocks: modeling grain-size effects. In 51th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium. American Rock Mechanics Association.
- Zhang, Y. D. & Buscarnera, G. (2015). Constitutive couplings in unsaturated granular media with crushable grains. In 49th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium. American Rock Mechanics Association.
- Zhang, Y. D. & Buscarnera, G. (2014). Model predictions of hydro-mechanical coupling in unsaturated crushable soils. Unsaturated Soils: Research & Applications, CRC Press, 471-477.