Geotechnical Engineering & Geomechanics • Engineering Science
Office: ECOT 532
- PhD Northwestern University (2016)
- MS Louisiana State University (2012)
- BS Zhejiang University (2010)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE
- Unsaturated Soils of ASCE
- Constitutive modeling of geomaterials (soil, rock) interacting with environmental factors (adsorption, dissolution, elevated temperature)
- Micromechanics of granular materials
- Unsaturated soil behaviors
- Numerical modeling in geotechnical engineering and energy geotechnics
Publication in refereed journals
- Sisodiya, M., Zhang, Y. (2021) A rate-dependent directional damage theory for brittle rocks considering the kinetics of microcrack growth. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, published online, DOI: 10.1007/s00603-021-02577-x.
- Singh, S., Zurakowski, Z., Dai, S., Zhang, Y. (2021) Effect of grain crushing on hydraulic conductivity of tailings sand. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, in press, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002667.
- Wen, Y., Zhang, Y. (2021) Evidence of a Unique Critical Fabric Surface for Granular Soils. Géotechnique, in press.
- Sisodiya, M., Singh, S., Thomas, D., Zhang, Y. (2021) Effect of water-rock interaction on the axial capacity of drilled caissons socketed in claystone bedrock. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 147(10), 04021097-1. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002600
- Eskandari-Ghadi, M., Zhang, Y. (2021) Mechanics of shrinkage-swelling transition of microporous materials at the initial stage of adsorption. International Journal of Solids and Structures, p.111041, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2021.111041
- Zhou, X., Liu, S., Zhang, Y. (2021) Permeability Evolution of Fractured Sorptive Geomaterials: A Theoretical Study on Coalbed Methane Reservoir. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 54(7), 3507-3525. DOI: 10.1007/s00603-021-02404-3.
- Zheng, H., Zhang, Y., Yang, Z.X. (2019) Suffusion-induced evolution of mechanical and microstructural properties of gap-graded soils using CFD-DEM. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 146(5), 04020024, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0002245.
- Zhang, Y., Zhou, X., Wen, Y. (2019) A constitutive theory for sand based on the concept of critical fabric surface. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 146(4), 04020019, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001741.
- Zheng, H., Zhang, Y., Yang, Z.X., (2019) Suffusion-induced deformation and microstructural change of granular soils: a coupled CFD-DEM study. Acta Geotechnica 14(3), 795-814.
- Zhang, Y. (2018). Mechanics of adsorption-deformation coupling in porous media. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 114, 31-54.
- Zhou, X., Ma, G., Zhang, Y. (2019). Grain size and time effect on the deformation of rockfill dams: a case study on the Shuibuya CFRD Géotechnique69(7), 606-619, DOI: 10.1680/jgeot.17.P.299
Contributions to international and national conferences
- Sisodiya, M., Zhang, Y. (2021) A directional micro-crack damage theory for rate-dependent deformation and failure of brittle rocks. In 55th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, TX (Virtual).
- Zhou, X., Liu, S., Zhang, Y. (2021) Predicting permeability change of fractured coals during methane depletion. In 55th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, TX (Virtual).
- Singh, S., Sisodiya, M., Zhang, Y. (2020) Interaction between fine-grained bedrock and water during caisson construction and its effect on the axial bearing capacity. In 54th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Golden, CO (Canceled).
- Sisodiya, M., Zhang, Y. (2020) A thermodynamic-consistent micro-crack damage model for brittle rocks. In 54th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Golden, CO.
- Zhang, Y. (2019). Thermodynamic-consistent adsorption-swelling models for coal. In 53rd US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, New York City, NY.
- Zhou, X., Zhang, Y., Ma, G. (2019). Deformation analysis of the 233 m Shuibuya rockfill dam using breakage mechanics. In Geo-Congress 2019, Philadelphia, PA.