Associate Professor • Associate Chair for Undergraduate Education
Building Systems Engineering • Materials Science & Engineering
Office: ECCE 247
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 2013
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
- BS, Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2006
Honors and Distinctions:
- 2023 Top 25 Newsmakers, Engineering News Record
- 2021 BioEnvironmental Polymer Society (BEPS) Outstanding Young Scientist
- 2020 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award
- 2020 Best Paper Award, Journal of the American Ceramics Society (ACerS)
- 2017 Engineering News Record (ENR) Mountain States Top 20 Under 40
- 2016 ASCE ExCEEd Teaching Fellowship
- 2016 Young Researcher Award, CEAE Department, University of Colorado Boulder
- 2016 AREN Faculty Appreciation Award, CEAE Department, University of Colorado Boulder
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- American Ceramics Society (ACerS)
- Biomimetic and Living Materials Science and Engineering
- Alternative Cement and Concrete Materials
- Embodied Carbon of Materials and Structures
- Beatty, DN, SL Williams, WV Srubar III. (2022). “Biomineralized Materials for Sustainable and Durable Construction,” Annual Review of Materials Research, 52: 411-439.
- Arehart, JH, F Pomponi, B D’Amico, WV Srubar III. (2022). “Structural Material Demand and Associated Embodied Carbon Emissions of the United States Building Stock: 2020-2100,” Resources, Conservation, and Recycling, 186, 106583.
- Frazier, SD, AJ Lobo, WV Srubar III. (2022). “Biomimetic Ice Recrystallization Inhibition-Active Poly(vinyl alcohol) Enhances the Freeze-thaw Resistance of Cement Paste,” Cement and Concrete Research, 160, 106905.
- Jones, RJ, WV Srubar III. (2022). “Biomineralization of SCOBY Cellulose Aerogels,” Advanced Engineering Materials, 2200681.
- Chen, X, MG Matar, DN Beatty*, WV Srubar III. (2021). “Retardation Mechanisms of Algae on Cement Hydration,” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 9(41): 13726-13734.
- Srubar III, WV. (2021). "Engineered Living Materials: Taxonomies and Emerging Trends,” Trends in Biotechnology, 39(6), 574-583.
- Heveran, CM, SL Williams, J Qiu, J Artier, MH Hubler, SM Cook, JC Cameron, WV Srubar III. (2020). “Biomineralization and Successive Regeneration of Engineered Living Building Materials,” Matter, 2(2), 481-494.
- Frazier, SD, MG Matar, AN Aday, J Osio-Norgaard, EA Delesky, WV Srubar III. (2020). “Inhibiting Freeze-Thaw Damage in Cement Paste and Concrete by Mimicking Nature’s Antifreeze,” Cell Reports Physical Science, 1, 100060.
- Osio-Norgaard, J, AN Aday, SL Williams, X Chen, JP Gevaudan, WV Srubar III. (2021). "Silica-Modifying Chemical Admixtures for Directed Zeolitization of Metakaolin-based Alkali-Activated Materials," Cement and Concrete Research, 142, 106348.
- DeRousseau, MA, JH. Arehart, JR Kasprzyk, WV Srubar III. (2020). "Statistical Variation in the Embodied Carbon of Concrete Mixtures." Journal of Cleaner Production, 275, 123088.