Office: SEEC S299
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2014
- MSE, Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2009
- BS, Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2008
- Sustainable Water System Design and Implementation
- Resource Recovery from Waste
- Optimization within Stability Constraints and under Uncertainty
- Environmental Biotechnology and Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment
- Sustainability-Based Decision Making
- International Water Association
- Water Environment Federation
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- Order of the Engineer
Honors and Distinctions
- CU Boulder's Provost’s Faculty Achievement Award 2022
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2021-2026
- University of Colorado Boulder Bennett-Lindstedt Faculty Fellowship, 2018-2026
- University of Colorado Boulder EVEN Faculty Appreciation Award (selected by B.S. students), 2019
- University of Colorado Boulder CEAE Young Researcher Award, 2018
- Virginia Tech CEE Outstanding Young Alumni, 2018
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow, 2009
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Outstanding Senior, 2008
- Morris K. Udall Scholar, 2007, 2006
Peterson, E.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Control of Pre-formed Halogenated Disinfection Byproducts with Reuse Biofiltration. Environmental Science & Technology (2023).
Chambers, K.G.; Sheridan, P.M.; Cook, S.M. Sanitation Criteria: A Comprehensive Review of Existing Sustainability and Resilience Evaluation Criteria for Sanitation Systems. Environmental Science & Technology Letters (2022), 9, 7, 583–591.
Bentley, M.; Solomon, M.E.; Marten, B.; Shimabuku, K.K.; Cook, S.M. Evaluating Landfill Leachate Treatment by Organic Municipal Solid Waste-derived Biochar. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2021), 7, 2064-2074.
- Chambers, K.G.; Carrico, A.; Cook, S.M. Drivers of Sustained Sanitation Access: Social Network and Demographic Predictors of Latrine Reconstruction after Flooding Disasters. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2021), 7, 1861-1872.
- Jones, C.H., Meyer, J., Cornejo, P.K., Hogrewe, W., Seidel, C.; Cook, S.M. A new framework for small drinking water plant sustainability support and decision-making. Science of the Total Environment (2019), 695, 133899.
- Davis, A.L.; Javernick-Will, A.; Cook, S.M. Priority Addressment Protocol: Understanding the Ability and Potential of Sanitation Systems to Address Priorities. Environmental Science & Technology (2019), 53 (1), 401-411.