Office: SEEC S299
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2014
- MSE, Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2009
- BS, Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2008
- Sustainable Water System Design and Implementation
- Resource Recovery from Waste
- Optimization within Stability Constraints and under Uncertainty
- Environmental Biotechnology and Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment
- Sustainability-Based Decision Making
- International Water Association
- Water Environment Federation
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- Society of Women Engineers
- Tau Beta Pi
- Order of the Engineer
Honors and Distinctions
- 2018, University of Colorado Boulder CEAE Young Researcher Award
- 2018, University of Colorado Boulder Bennett-Lindstedt Faculty Fellowship
- 2018, Virginia Tech CEE Outstanding Young Alumni
- 2013, Rackham Predoctoral Fellow
- 2010, Graham Sustainability Institute Doctoral Fellow
- 2009, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow
- 2008, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society National Fellow
- 2008, Virginia Tech College of Engineering Outstanding Senior
- 2007, 2006, Morris K. Udall Scholar
Davis, A.L.; Javernick-Will, A.; Cook, S.M. A comparison of interviews, focus groups, and photovoice to identify sanitation priorities and increase success of community-based sanitation systems. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2018), 4, 1451-1463. Link.
Jones, C.H.; Terry, L.G.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental Life Cycle Comparison of Conventional and Biological Filtration Alternatives for Drinking Water Treatment. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2018), 4, 1464-1479. Link.
Jones, C.H.; Shilling, E.; Linden, K.; Cook, S.M. Life Cycle Environmental Impacts of Disinfection Technologies Used in Small Drinking Water Systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 52 (5), 2998–3007. Link.
Keshavarzmohammadian, A.; Cook, S.M.; Milford, J.B. Cradle-to-gate Environmental Impacts of Sulfur-based Solid-state Lithium Batteries for Electric Vehicle Applications. Journal of Cleaner Production (2018), DOI: 0.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.168. Link.
Byrne, D.M.; Lohman, H.A.C.; Cook, S.M.; Peters, G.M.; Guest, J.S. Life cycle assessment (LCA) of urban water infrastructure: Emerging approaches to balance objectives and inform comprehensive decision-making (2017), Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3, 1002-1014. Link.
Thompson, K.A.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Development and experimental validation of the composition and treatability of a new synthetic bathroom greywater (SynGrey) (2017), Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3, 1120-1131. Link.
Thompson, K.A.; Shimabuku, K.K.; Kearns, J.P.; Knappe, D.R.U.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental comparison between biochar and activated carbon for tertiary wastewater treatment (2016), Environmental Science & Technology, 50 (20), 11253-11262. Link.
Cook, S.M.; Skerlos, S.J.; Raskin, L.; Love, N.G. The establishment of a stability algorithm for anaerobic codigestion (2017), Water Research, 117, 19-28. Link.