Environmental Engineering • Civil Systems • Mortenson Center in Global Engineering
Office: SEEC S299
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2014
- MSE, Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2009
- BS, Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2008
- Sustainable Water System Design and Implementation
- Resource Recovery from Waste
- Optimization within Stability Constraints and under Uncertainty
- Environmental Biotechnology and Anaerobic Wastewater Treatment
- Sustainability-Based Decision Making
- International Water Association
- Water Environment Federation
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- Order of the Engineer
Honors and Distinctions
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2021-2026
- University of Colorado Boulder EVEN Faculty Appreciation Award (selected by B.S. students), 2019
- University of Colorado Boulder Bennett-Lindstedt Faculty Fellowship, 2018-2022
- University of Colorado Boulder CEAE Young Researcher Award, 2018
- Virginia Tech CEE Outstanding Young Alumni, 2018
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow, 2009
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Outstanding Senior, 2008
- Morris K. Udall Scholar, 2007, 2006
- Thompson, K.A.; Valencia, E.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Sorption, coagulation, and biodegradation for greywater reuse. Water Science & Technology (2020), 81 (10), 2152–2162.
- Davis, A.L.; Javernick-Will, A.; Cook, S.M. Analyzing sanitation sustainability assessment frameworks for resource-limited communities. Environmental Science & Technology (2019), 53 (22), 13535-13545.
- Davis, A.L.; Javernick-Will, A.; Cook, S.M. Priority Addressment Protocol: Understanding the Ability and Potential of Sanitation Systems to Address Priorities. Environmental Science & Technology (2019), 53 (1), 401-411.
- Jones, C.H., Meyer, J., Cornejo, P.K., Hogrewe, W., Seidel, C.; Cook, S.M.* A new framework for small drinking water plant sustainability support and decision-making. Science of the Total Environment (2019), 695, 133899.
- Jones, C.H.; Terry, L.G.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental Life Cycle Comparison of Conventional and Biological Filtration Alternatives for Drinking Water Treatment. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2018), 4, 1464-1479.
- Thompson, K.A.; Shimabuku, K.K.; Kearns, J.P.; Knappe, D.R.U.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental comparison between biochar and activated carbon for tertiary wastewater treatment (2016), Environmental Science & Technology, 50 (20), 11253-11262.