Professor • President's Teaching Scholar • Professional Engineer (PE)
Hydrology, Water Resources & Environmental Fluid Mechanics • Engineering Science • Geoenvironmental Engineering
Office: SEEC C245
- B.A. Spanish, University of Colorado, 2018
- Ph.D. in Hydrology, New Mexico Tech, 2000
- M.S. in Applied Math, New Mexico Tech, 1999
- S.M. in Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 1989
Honors and Distinctions:
- “Best Should Teach” Faculty Gold Award, 2016
- President’s Teaching Scholar, University of Colorado, 2015
- Fulbright Scholar, 2015
- Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence in Teaching Award, 2011
- John and Mercedes Peebles Innovation in Education Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Colorado, 2010
- Sullivan-Carlson Innovation in Teaching Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Colorado, 2009
- Charles A. Hutchinson Memorial Teaching Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Colorado, 2008
- ExCEEd New Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2006
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2006
- Fellow, Geological Society of America
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Geological Society of America
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- American Society for Engineering Education
- National Ground Water Association (NGWA)
- Groundwater flow and transport modeling
- Chaotic advection
- Groundwater remediation
- Adjoint theory and applications
- Zhang, Y. H.G. Sun, R.M. Neupauer, P. Straka, J.F. Kelly, and B. Lu, Identification of pollutant source for super-diffusion in aquifers and rivers with bounded domains, Water Resources Research, 2018.
- Zhang, Y., H. Sun, B. Lu, R. Garrard, and R.M. Neupauer, Identifying source location and release time for pollutants undergoing super-diffusion and decay, Advances in Water Resources, 107, 517-524, 2017.
- Zhang, Y., C.T. Green, E.M. LaBolle, R.M. Neupauer, and H.G. Sun, Bounded fractional diffusion in geological media: Definition and Lagrangian approximation, Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2016WR019178, 2016.
- Okkonen, J. and R.M. Neupauer, Capture zone delineation methodology based on the maximum concentration - Preventative groundwater well protection areas for heat exchange fluid mixtures, Water Resources Research, 52, doi:10.1002/2016WR018715, 2016.
- Piscopo, A.N., R.M. Neupauer, and J.R. Kasprzyk, Optimal design of in situ chemical oxidation for sorbing contaminants in groundwater, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 190, 29-43, 2016.
- Zhang, Y., M.M. Meerschaert, and R.M. Neupauer, Backward fractional advection dispersion model for contaminant source prediction, Water Resources Research, 52, 2462–2473, doi:10.1002/2015WR018515, 2016.
- McKnight, D.M., K. Cozzetto, J.D.S. Cullis, M.N. Gooseff, C. Jaros, J.C. Koch, W.B. Lyons, R. Neupauer, and A.Wolowski, Potential for real-time understanding of coupled hydrologic and biogeochemical processes in stream ecosystems: Future integration of telemetered data with process models for glacial meltwater streams, Water Resources Research, 51,(8), 6275-6738, DOI: 10.1002/2015WR017618, 2015.
- Wagner, D.E., R.M. Neupauer, and C. Cichowitz, Adjoint-based probabilistic source characterization in water distribution systems with transient flows and imperfect sensors, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000508, 2015.
- Neupauer, R.M. and D.C. Mays, Engineered injection and extraction for in situ remediation of sorbing solutes in groundwater, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 141(6), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000923, 2015.
- Piscopo, A.N., J. Kasprzyk, and R.M. Neupauer, An iterative approach to many objective engineering design: Optimization of engineered injection and extraction for enhanced groundwater remediation, Environmental Modelling & Software, 69, 253-261, DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.08.030, 2015.