Geotechnical Engineering & Geomechanics • Engineering Science • Materials Science & Engineering
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, 1998
- S.M., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
- B.S.E., Civil Engineering Systems, University of Pennsylvania, 1991
Honors and Distinctions:
- Research Development Award, Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 2012
- R&D 100 Award, R&D Magazine, 2000
- Sidney Shore Award, University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- Computational multiscale mechanics for porous and particulate materials.
- Mechanics of single phase (dry) and multiphase (partially-saturated and saturated, multi-constituent) porous materials, such as geomaterials (soil, rock), concrete, and soft biological tissues.
- Damaged polycrystalline metals.
- Generalized continuum theories for multiscale modeling of inelastic deformation.
- Applications include modeling geotechnical, geological, and structural engineering failures, high strain rate loading of polycrystalline metals and soils, and visco-poroelastic response of ocular tissues and other biological tissues.
- Ma, G., Zhou, W., Regueiro, R.A., Wang, Q., Chang, X. (2017) Modeling the fragmentation of rock grains using computed tomography and combined FDEM, Powder Technology 308:388-397.
- Stender, M.E., Regueiro, R.A., Ferguson, V.L. (2016) A Poroelastic Finite Element Model of the Bone-Cartilage Unit to Determine the Effects of Changes in Permeability with Osteoarthritis, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, in press.
- Regueiro, R.A., Duan, Z., Wang, W., Sweetser, J.D., Jensen, E.W. (2016) General formulation of a poromechanical cohesive surface element with elastoplasticity for modeling interfaces in fluid-saturated geomaterials, Int. J. Multi. Comp. Eng. 14(4):323-347.
- Stender, M.E., Carpenter, D., Regueiro, R.A., Ferguson, V.L. (2016) An Evolutionary Model of Osteoarthritis Including Articular Cartilage Damage and Bone Remodeling in a Computational Study, Journal of Biomechanics 49(14):3502-3508.
- Regueiro, R.A., Duan, Z., Yan, B. (2016) Overlapped-coupling between spherical discrete elements and micropolar finite elements in one dimension using a bridging-scale decomposition for statics, Eng. Comput. 33(1):28-63.
- Bennett, K., Regueiro, R.A., Borja, R.I. (2016) Finite strain elastoplasticity considering the Eshelby stress for materials undergoing plastic volume change, Int. J. Plast. 77:214-245.
- Stender, M.E., Regueiro, R.A., Klisch, S.M., Ferguson, V.L. (2015) An equilibrium constitutive model of anisotropic cartilage damage to elucidate mechanisms of damage initiation and progression, ASME J. Biomech. Eng. 137(8):1-13.
- Zhang, B., Regueiro, R.A. (2015) On large deformation granular strain measures for generating stress-strain relations based upon three-dimensional discrete element simulations, Int. J. Solids Struct 66:151-170.
- Burd, H.J., Regueiro, R.A. (2015) Finite element implementation of a multiscale model of the human lens capsule, Biomech. Model. Mechanobiology 14(6):1363-1378.
- Kim, J., Wang, W., Regueiro, R.A. (2015) Hybrid time integration and coupled solution methods for nonlinear finite element analysis of partially saturated deformable porous media at small strain, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Methods Geomech. 39(10):1073-1103.