Beavers Professorship of Construction Engineering • Director, President’s Teaching and Learning Collaborative – Boulder Campus
Construction Engineering Management
- B.S. Civil Engineering Bucknell University 2004
- M.S. Civil Engineering Bucknell University 2005
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering Oregon State University 2008
Honors and Distinctions:
- Charles Hutchinson Memorial Teaching Award, University of Colorado College of Engineering and Applied Science (2016)
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Construction Industry Institute (CII) (2015)
- Beavers Endowed Professorship of Construction Engineering (2014 to present)
- Construction Research Conference, Best Paper Award (2005, 2014, 2015)
- Engineering News Record (ENR) Mountain States Top 20 Under 40 (2014)
- Best Paper Award, American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference (2013)
- Outstanding Advisor Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science (2013)
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation (2013)
- Young Researcher Award, Dept. of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering (2013)
- John and Mercedes Peebles Innovation in Education Award, University of Colorado College of Engineering and Applied Science (2012)
- Best Paper Award, Journal of Safety, Health, and Environmental Research (2012)
- Best Paper Award, International Council for Research and Innovation and Building Construction (CIB) W099 Conference (2012)
- ASSE Academic Practice Specialty’s top article of the year and featured in the ASSE Best of the Best publication for 2011-2012
- Best Paper Award, Engineering Project Organizations Conference (2012)
- Dean’s Performance Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science (2011)
- American Society of Civil Engineering New Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award (2011)
- Teaching Award, University of Colorado Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering (2010)
- Construction safety
- Risk management
- Predictive analytics
- Experimental research in construction
- Experimental psychology
- Construction engineering.
- Hallowell, M.R., Alexander, D., Gambatese, J.A. (2017). “Energy-based safety risk assessment: Does magnitude and intensity of energy predict injury severity?” Construction Management and Economics, 2017, 1-14.
- Tixier, A.J.P., Hallowell, M.R., Rajagopalan, B., and Bowman, D. (2017). “Safety clash detection: Identifying safety incompatibilities among fundamental attributes using data mining” Automation in Construction, 74, 39-54.
- Hallowell, M.R., Albert, A., Skaggs, M., and Kleiner, B. (2017). “Empirical measurement and improvement of hazard recognition skill” Safety Science, 93, 1-8.
- Lingard, H., Hallowell, M.R., Salas, R., Prizadeh, P.* (2017). “Leading or lagging? Temporal analysis of safety indicators on a large infrastructure construction project. Safety Science, 91, 206-220.
- Techera, U., Hallowell, M.R., Stambaugh, N., and Littlejohn, R. (2017). “Causes and consequences of fatigue: Systems model and meta-analysis.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Elsevier, 58 (10): 961-973.
- Tixier, A.J.P., Hallowell, M.R., Rajagopalan, B., and Bowman, D. (2016). “Application of machine learning to construction injury prediction.” Automation in Construction, Elsevier, (69) 102-114.
- Tixier, A.J.P., Hallowell, M.R., Rajagopalan, B., and Bowman, D. (2016). “Automated content analysis for safety: Natural language processing system to extract precursors and outcomes from unstructured injury reports.” Automation in Construction, 62, 45-56.
- Hallowell, M.R. and Hansen, D. (2016). “Measuring and improving designer hazard recognition skill: Critical competency to enable prevention through design.” Safety Science, 82, 254-263.
- Hallowell, M.R. and Yugar-Arias, I. (2016). “Exploring fundamental causes of safety challenges faced by Hispanic construction workers in the US using Photovoice.” Safety Science, Elsevier, 82, 199-211.
- Salas, R and Hallowell, M.R. (2016). “Predictive validity of safety leading indicators: An empirical assessment in the oil and gas industry.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 04016052-1 to 04016052-11.