- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis. March 1997. Advisor: Jeannie L. Darby.
- Master of Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis. March 1993. Advisor: Jeannie L. Darby.
- Bachelor of Science, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, May 1989. Advisor: William J. Jewell
Honors and Distinctions:
- Helen and Huber Croft Endowed Professor: Environmental Engineering, 2011-2016
- Distinguished Faculty Award, CEAE Department, College of Engineering, 2011
- Best Paper of the Year, Journal of the American Water Works Association, 2010
- Research Development Award, CEAE Department, College of Engineering, 2009
- Liebman Faculty Fellow, College of Engineering and Applied Science, 2008-2010
- RMIT International Fellow – Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Australia, 2007-2008
- Klein/Stansell Family Distinguished Research Award, Pratt School of Engineering, 2004
- John-Kelly C. Warren Faculty Scholar, Pratt School of Eng., Duke University, 2001-2005
- Switzer Environmental Foundation Leadership Fellow, 2001-2003
- National Science Foundation New Century Scholar, 1998
- UNC-Charlotte Junior Faculty Fellowship, 1998
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Water Works Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- International Water Association
- International UV Association
I teach an undergraduate course on Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering and graduate courses in Water Reuse, UV processes in environmental systems, and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. Other interests include water and wastewater treatment processes (physical, chemical, and biological), environmental aquatic chemistry, ecological environmental engineering, water treatment process laboratory.
Research focuses on investigation of alternative disinfectants and advanced oxidation for water and wastewater treatment. Specifically, efficacy of UV irradiation for inactivation of persistent and emerging pathogens; and the investigation of advanced oxidation processes for the degradation of environmental pollutants of concern in clean and reclaimed water for reuse. Other experience in biological treatment processes, environmental toxicology, industrial wastewater treatment, greywater reuse, natural treatment technologies, appropriate treatment technologies, bioremediation techniques, and anaerobic treatment processes.