Professor Emerita • Professional Engineer (PE)
Environmental Engineering • Civil Systems • Mortenson Center in Global Engineering • Geoenvironmental Engineering
Office: ECOT 456
- BA, Psychology, Stanford university, 1967
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1977
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1980
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1982
Honors and Distinctions:
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Distinguished Engineering Educator
- National Center for Women in Information Technology Pacesetters
- Eminence Membership Committee, AAEES
- Board of Directors, Center of the American West
- Women in Academia, Society of Women Engineers
- External Advisory Board, Chemical & Environmental Engineering, University of California Riverside
- Water and wastewater treatment process analysis
- Nutrient management
- Performance-based statistical modeling of wastewater systems to assess the impacts of decentralization, permit compliance, reliability, and resilience
- Nutrient emissions trading
- Performance data-based analysis of wastewater systems, effects of decentralization, decision support for nutrient management.
- Bihu Suchetana, Balaji Rajagopalan, JoAnn Silverstein (2018) Investigating regime shifts and the factors controlling Total Inorganic Nitrogen concentrations in treated wastewater using non-homogeneous Hidden Markov and multinomial logistic regression models, Sci. Tot. Environ., 646, 635-633.
- Bihu Suchetana, Balaji Rajagopalan, JoAnn Silverstein (2017) Assessment of wastewater treatment facility compliance with decreasing ammonia discharge limits using a regression tree model. Sci. Tot. Environ., 598, 249-257.
- Bihu Suchetana, Balaji Rajagopalan, JoAnn Silverstein (2016) Hierarchical Modeling Approach to Evaluate Spatial and Temporal Variability of Wastewater Treatment Compliance with Biochemical Oxygen Demand, Total Suspended Solids, and Ammonia Limits in the United States, Environ. Eng. Sci., 33, 514-524.
- Brock Hodgson, Sybil Sharvelle, JoAnn Silverstein, Anna McKenna (2017) Impact of Water Conservation and Reuse on Water Systems and Receiving Water Body Quality. Environ. Eng. Sci. doi: 10.1089/ees.2017.0157.
- Anna McKenna, JoAnn Silverstein, Sybil Sharvelle, Brock Hodgson (2017) Modeled Response of Wastewater Nutrient Treatment to Indoor Water Conservation. Environ. Eng. Sci. doi: 10.1089/ees.2017.0161.
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2016) Predicting Life Cycle Failures of On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems Using Generalized Additive Models, Environ. Eng. Sci., 33(2):112-124.
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2017) Risk-Cost Estimation of On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems Using Extreme Value Analysis, Water Environment Research, 406-415. Doi: 10.2175/106143016X14609975747289..
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2016) Modeling On-site Wastewater Treatment System Performance Fragility to Hydroclimate Stressors, Wat. Sci. Technol., 74.12:2917-2926.
- Weirich, S.R.,* J. Silverstein, and B. Rajagopalan, (2015) Resilience of Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plants: Prior Performance is Predictive of Future Process Failure and Recovery Time. Environ. Eng. Sci. 32(3):222-231.
- Weirich, S.R.,* J. Silverstein, and B. Rajagopalan, (2015) Simulation of effluent BOD and ammonia for increasingly decentralized networks of wastewater treatment facilities. Environ. Eng. Sci. 32(3):232-239