Professor • Professional Engineer (PE)
Environmental Engineering • Civil Systems • Engineering for Developing Communities • Geoenvironmental Engineering
- BA, Psychology, Stanford university, 1967
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1977
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1980
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1982
Honors and Distinctions:
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Distinguished Engineering Educator
- Eminence Membership Committee, AAEES
- Board of Directors, Center of the American West
- Women in Academia, Society of Women Engineers
- External Advisory Board, Chemical & Environmental Engineering, University of California Riverside
- Water and wastewater treatment process analysis
- Nutrient management
- Performance-based statistical modeling of wastewater systems to assess the impacts of decentralization, permit compliance, reliability, and resilience
- Nutrient emissions trading
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2016) Predicting Life Cycle Failures of On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems Using Generalized Additive Models, Environ. Eng. Sci., 33(2):112-124.
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2016) Risk-Cost Estimation of On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems Using Extreme Value Analysis, Water Environment Research, in press.
- Kohler, L.E., J. Silverstein, B. Rajagopalan (2016) Modeling On-site Wastewater Treatment System Performance Fragility to Hydroclimate Stressors, Wat. Sci. Technol., 74.12:2917-2926.
- Suchetana, B., B. Rajagopalan, J. Silverstein (2016) Hierarchical Modeling Approach to Evaluation of Spatial and Temporal Variability of Wastewater Treatment Compliance with Biochemical Oxygen Demand, Total Suspended Solids, and Ammonia Limits in the United States, Environ. Eng. Sci., 33(7):514-524.
- Weirich, S.R.,* J. Silverstein, and B. Rajagopalan, (2015) Resilience of Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plants: Prior Performance is Predictive of Future Process Failure and Recovery Time. Environ. Eng. Sci. 32(3):222-231.
- Weirich, S.R.,* J. Silverstein, and B. Rajagopalan, (2015) Simulation of effluent BOD and ammonia for increasingly decentralized networks of wastewater treatment facilities. Environ. Eng. Sci. 32(3):232-239
- Yacob, T.*, Pandey, S.,* Silverstein, J. Rajaram, H. (2013) Soluble Microbial Products Decrease Pyrite Oxidation by Ferric Iron at pH < 2, Environmental Science & Technology, 47(15):8658-8665.
- Weirich, S. R.,* Silverstein, J., & Rajagopalan, B. (2011). Effect of average flow and capacity utilization on effluent water quality from US municipal wastewater treatment facilities. Water Research, 45(14), 4279-4286. Doi:10.1016/j.watres.2011.06.002.
- Gutierrez-Padilla, Ma.G.,* A. Bielefeldt, S. Ovtchinnikov, J. Silverstein, and M. Hernandez, (2010) Bacterial Kinetics of Sulfur Oxidizing Bacteria and their Biodeterioration Rates of Concrete Sewer Pipe Samples, J. Environ. Eng (ASCE), 136:731-739.
- Baeseman, J.L.*, R.L. Smith, and J. Silverstein, (2006) “Denitrification Potential in Stream Sediments Impacted by Acid Mine Drainage: Effects of pH, Various Electron Donors, and Iron, Microbial Ecol., 51(2):232-241.