Adjunct Assistant Professor • Program Director, Online Certificate in Tunneling
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder
- Degree in Civil Engineering (Laurea), University of Padua (Italy)
- Maturità Classica (Classical High School)
- Associate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the International Association of Bridge Management and Safety (IABMAS)
- Member of the American Underground Construction Association (AUA), Italian Tunneling Society (SIG); International Tunneling Association (ITA), American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA), and International Society of Rock Mechanics (ISRM).
- Committee memberships:
- International Society of Rock Mechanics (ISRM); Maintenance and Repair of Underground Structures in Rock Masses committee (president: L. Ribeiro e Sousa); 2004-2007.
- International Society of Rock Mechanics (ISRM); Rock Fracture Characterization Committee (president: J. Harrison); 2009-present.
- International Tunneling Association (ITA); Committee on Education and Training (chair R. Ghaller); 2008-present. Member of the Executive Board.
- International Tunneling Association (ITA); Working Group 2, Research (animator E. Leca); 2002-present.
- National Academy of Sciences: Underground Geoengineering for Sustainable Development Committee; (chair Paul H. Gilbert) 2010-2012.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Scan Team 09-05, Best Practices for Roadway Tunnel Design, Construction, Maintenance, Inspection, and Operations (K. Thompson, AASHTO Co-Chair, J. Rohena, FHWA Co-Chair)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); Geo-Institute Rock Mechanics committee; 2000-present. Chair: 2009-present.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); Geo-Institute Risk Assessment and Management committee (coordinator K.-K. Phoon); 2004-present.
- Transportation Research Board (TRB); Committee AFS20, Soils and Rock Instrumentation (chair Thomas C. Sheahan); 2003-2006.
- TRB Committee AFF60, Tunnels and Underground Structures (chair C. Felice); 2005-present. Chair of the Research Subcommittee.
- TRB Committee AFP30, Soils and Rock Properties (chair Silas Nichols); 2003-present.
Honors and Awards
- American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA): 2006 Award for Applied Rock Mechanics for the paper entitled: Stresses in anisotropic rock masses: an engineering perspective building on geological knowledge. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 40 (2003), 1099–1120.
- Awarded the Thesis Prize by the Italian Tunneling Society, Third Edition, for the best thesis on Underground Excavations defended in Italy in the years 1994-95-96.
- Awarded scholarships for graduate studies by the following institutions: University of Padua, Italy; University of Pisa, Italy; Fondazione Gini (twice), Padua, Italy; CNR (Italian National Science Foundation); Rotary Foundation (ambassadorial scholarship).