Structural Engineering & Structural Mechanics
Office: B232, ATLSS Center, Lehigh University
- Doctor of Applied Sciences, University of Liège, Belgium, 1976.
- Dipl.-Ing., Institute of Civil Engineering, Bucharest, Romania, 1969.
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), Polytechnic University of Milan (Politecnico di Milano), Milan, Italy, 2016.
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), Technical University of Iaşi, Romania, 2014.
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), University of Liège, Liège, Belgium, 2008.
- Doctor Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorate), Technical University of Civil Engineering, Bucharest, Romania, 2001.
Honors and Distinctions:
- Honorary Member of the Romanian Academy, 2017.
- Foreign Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts, 2016.
- Foreign Member of the Academia Europaea (Academy of Europe, London), 2015.
- Distinguished Member, ASCE, 2010.
- Honorary Member of the Academy of Technical Sciences of Romania, 2000.
- ASCE Newmark and Croes (twice) Medals; ASCE Ang, Howard, Moisseiff, OPAL, and State-of-the-Art of Civil Engineering (twice) Awards; ASCE Noble and Wellington Prizes; IABSE OPAC Award; ELSEVIER Munro Prize; IABMAS Lin Medal; IALCCE Khan Medal; IASSAR Research Prize; SAE Distinguished Probabilistic Methods Educator Award, among others.
- Honorary Professor: Shenyang Jianzhu University (Shenyang, China), 2018; Hunan University (Hunan, China), 2016; Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University (Melbourne, Australia), 2015; Beijing Jiaotong University (Beijing, China), 2015; Chongqing Jiaotong University (Chongqing, China), 2015; Changsha University of Science and Technology (Changsha, China), 2015; Dalian University of Technology (Dalian, China), 2014; Harbin Institute of Technology (Harbin, China), 2013; The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong, China), 2012; Chang'an University (Xi'an, Shaanxi, China), 2012; Southeast University (Nanjing, China), 2011; Tianjin University (Tianjin, China), 2011; Tongji University (Shanghai, China), 2009.
- For more information on honors and distinctions, click here.
- Founding President, The International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety (IABMAS).
- Founding President, The International Association for Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE).
- Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering.
- First Holder of the Fazlur Rahman Khan Endowed Chair of Structural Engineering and Architecture at Lehigh University, Appointed 2006.
- Initiator and Organizer of the Fazlur R. Khan Distinguished Lecture Series at Lehigh University (2007-present).
- Past Chair of the Technical Activities Division of the Structural Engineering Institute of ASCE; Past Vice-President and Chair of the Executive Board of the International Association for Structural Safety and Reliability (IASSAR); Past Vice-President of the Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) of ASCE; Past Vice-President of the International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure (ISHMII); Inaugural Fellow of SEI and EMI; Fellow of ACI, IABSE, ISHMII and JSCE.
- For a list of Prof. Frangopol’s professional affiliations and service, click here .
- Structural reliability
- Life-cycle cost analysis
- Probability-based assessment, design, and multi-criteria life-cycle optimization of structures and infrastructure systems
- Structural health monitoring
- Life-cycle performance maintenance and management of structures and distributed infrastructure under extreme events (earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and floods)
- Risk-based assessment and decision making
- Multi-hazard risk mitigation
- Infrastructure sustainability and resilience to disasters
- Climate change adaptation
- Probabilistic mechanics
- Prof. Frangopol is the author/co-author of 3 books, 50 book chapters, 380 articles in archival journals, over 600 papers in conference proceedings, and more than 100 technical reports. He has edited/co-edited 46 books and 22 special issues of international journals. For a complete list of publications, click here.
- "Seismic Fragility Assessment of Large-Scale Pile-Supported Wharf Structures Considering Soil-Pile Interaction," (with L. Su, H-P. Wan, Y. Dong, and X-Z. Ling), Engineering Structures, Elsevier, Vol. 186, 2019, 270-281, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.02.022
- "Societal Risk Assessment of Transportation Networks under Uncertainties due to Climate Change and Population Growth," (with D.Y. Yang), Structural Safety, Elsevier, Vol. 78, 33-47, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2018.12.005
- "Risk-Informed Structural Repair Decision Making for Service Life Extension of Aging Naval Ships," (with Y. Liu, and M. Cheng), Marine Structures, Elsevier, Vol. 64, 305-321, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2018.10.008
- "Utility and Information Analysis for Optimum Inspection of Fatigue-Sensitive Structures," (with Y. Liu), Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 145, No. 2, 04018251 1-12, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002257
- "Life-cycle Management of Deteriorating Civil Infrastructure Considering Resilience to Lifetime Hazards: A General Approach based on Renewal-reward Processes," (with D.Y. Yang), Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Elsevier, Vol. 183, 197-212, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2018.11.016
- "Sustainability-Informed Bridge Ranking under Scour Based on Transportation Network Performance and Multi-Attribute Utility," (with L. Liu, A. Mondoro, and D.Y. Yang), Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 23, No. 10, 04018082 1-12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001296
- "Risk-Informed Bridge Ranking at Project and Network Levels," (with D.Y. Yang), Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE, Vol. 24, No. 3, 04018018 1-13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000430
- "Novel Technique for Configuration Transformation of 3D Curved Cables of Suspension Bridges: Application to the Dongtiao River Bridge," (with X. Wang, Y. Dong, X. Lei, and Y. Zhang), Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2018, 04018045 1-11 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001189
- “Influence of the Exposure Scenario and Spatial Correlation on the Probabilistic Life-Cycle Seismic Performance of Deteriorating RC Frames,” (with A. Titi, S. Bianchi, and F. Biondini), Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 14, No. 7, 2018, 986-996, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2018.1438481
- "Life-Cycle Reliability Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Bridge Structures under Multiple Hazards," (with T. Yanweerasak, W. Pansuk and M. Akiyama), Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 14, No. 7, 2018, 1011-1024, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2018.1437640