- BS Civil Engineering Iowa State University 1992
- MS Civil Engineering University of Washington 1994
- PhD Civil Engineering University of Washington 1996
Honors and Distinctions:
- Advisor for winning student teams, Water Environment Federation (WEF) National Wastewater Student Design Competition, 2012, 2009
- Advisor for winning student teams, AECOM Student Design Competition 2012, 2011
- Advisor for student design teams participating in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) University Design Competition, Environmental Impacts category; 2013 two CU teams tied for second; 2012 CU team 2nd place and two teams tied for third place
- Best paper award, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Rocky Mountain Section Conference 2013
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 2012
- Best paper award, K-12 Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference, Zarske, Bielefeldt, et al. 2012
- Outstanding Service Award, Boulder Faculty Assembly, University of Colorado 2012
- Best Paper Award from American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference with co-authors K. Paterson and C. Swan. Environmental Division, PIC II, and Best Overall Paper 2009
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)/McGraw-Hill Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Engineering & Science 2004
- Early Career Award from the Environmental Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) based on a paper presented at the Annual Conference 2003
- Editor’s Award for Outstanding Service from the American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Environmental Engineering, Editor Robert G. Arnold 2002
- Karen Morehouse Best Paper Award for Proceedings of the 1999 Conference on Hazardous Waste Research (with Illangasekare and Grant) 2000
- Rudolf Hering Medal from the American Society of Civil Engineers for the best paper in the Journal of Environmental Engineering (with Stensel and Strand) 1997
- Mercury Seven Foundation Scholarship 1994
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship 1992
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Association of Environmental Engineering Scientists and Professors (AEESP)
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- International Association of Water Quality (IAWQ)
- Engineering education: sustainability, service learning, ethics, social responsibility, recruiting and retention, diversity
- Biodegradation and biotransformation of organic and inorganic pollutants in soil, water, and air
- Sustainable water and wastewater treatment for developing communities
Examples of Recent Publications (underlined are Bielefeldt-advised graduate students; asterisk are Bielefeldt-advised undergraduate students):
- Bielefeldt, A.R., M. W. Stewart, E. Mansfield, R.S. Summers, J.N. Ryan. 2013. Effects of chlorine and other water quality parameters on the release of silver nanoparticles from a ceramic surface. Water Research. 47, 4032-4039. doi: 10.1016/j.watres.2013.01.058
- Swan, C., K. Paterson, A. Bielefeldt. 2013. Community Engagement in Engineering Education as a Way to Increase Inclusiveness. Chapter in: Cambridge Handbook of Engineering Education Research (CHEER), A. Johri and B. Olds, Eds. (in press).
- Bielefeldt, A.R., R.S. Summers, and T. Relph. 2012. TEC Project Report: National Inventory of Regional Collaboration Among Water and Wastewater Utilities. Journal American Water Works Association. 104 (7), 67-78. doi: 10.5942/jawwa.2012.104.0110
- Song, M. and A. Bielefeldt. 2012. Toxicity and inhibition of bacterial growth by series of alkylphenol polyethoxylate nonionic surfactants. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 219, 127-132. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.03.063.
- Bielefeldt, A. and J.M. Pearce. 2012. Chapter 2 – Service Learning in Engineering. In: “Convergence: Philosophies and Pedagogies for Developing the Next Generation of Humanitarian Engineers and Social Entrepreneurs”. T.Colledge, ed. E-book.
- Bielefeldt, A.R. 2011. Chapter 2 – Appropriate and Sustainable Water Disinfection Methods for Developing Communities. Water Disinfection. K.M. Buchanan, Ed. Nova Publishers. Pp. 45-75. ISBN: 978-1-61122-021-6.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., M.M. Dewoolkar, K.M. Caves, B.W. Berdanier, and K.G. Paterson. 2011. Diverse Models for Incorporating Service Projects into Engineering Capstone Design Courses. International Journal of Engineering Education, 27(6) 1206-1220.
- Bielefeldt, A.R. 2011. Incorporating a Sustainability Module into First-Year Courses for Civil and Environmental Engineering Students. ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. 137 (2), 78-85. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000050
- Bielefeldt, A.R., Ma. G.D. Gutierrez-Padilla, S. Ovtchinnikov, J. Silverstein, and M. Hernandez. 2010. Bacterial kinetics of sulfur oxidizing bacteria and their biodeterioration rates of concrete sewer pipe samples. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering. 136 (7): 731-738.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., K.G. Paterson, and C.W. Swan. 2010. Measuring the Value Added from Service Learning in Project-Based Engineering Education. The International Journal of Engineering Education. 26 (3): 535-546.
- Bielefeldt, A.R., K. Kowalski, A. Kohler, C. Schilling*, S. Schreier*, and R. Scott Summers. 2010. Removal of Virus to Protozoan Sized Particles in Point-of-Use Ceramic Water Filters. Water Research. 44 (5): 1482-1488. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2009.10.043
- Gutierrez-Padilla, G., A.R. Bielefeldt, S. Ovtchinnikov, M. Hernandez, and J. Silverstein. 2010. Biogenic sulfuric acid attack on different types of commercially produced concrete sewer pipes. Cement and Concrete Research. 40 (2): 293-301. doi:10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.10.002
- Bielefeldt, A.R., K. Kowalski, and R.S. Summers. 2009. Bacterial Treatment Effectiveness of Point-of-Use Ceramic Water Filters. Water Research. 43 (14): 3559-3565. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2009.04.047
- Gutierrez-Padilla, Ma. G., A. Bielefeldt, S. Ovtchinnikov, J. Pellegrino, and J. Silverstein. 2009. Simple scanner-based image analysis for corrosion testing: concrete application. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 209 (1): 51-57. doi: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.01.043
- Bielefeldt, A.R. 2009. Water Treatment, Industrial. Encyclopedia of Microbiology, 3rd edition. M. Schaechter, editor, et al. Academic Press. Pp. 569-586. ISBN: 978-0-12-373944-5.