On this page:

What is a contract?

A contract is a legal document describing the obligations of two or more parties over the course of a project. It is the procurement of goods or services, and usually has specific deliverables and milestones to be met and dictates how the contracting parties will interact with each other. Contracts may be referred to as an agreement, purchase orders, subaward, or service agreement.  Other agreements include Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA) Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDA), Material Transfer  Agreements (MTA), Memorandum of Understanding, Teaming Agreements, and Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA).

At CU Boulder, if the content of the document includes specific terms and conditions, governing the performance of research, it would be considered a research sponsored contract.

Which office should review and sign a research sponsored contract?

The Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) was delegated contracting authority by “The Regents of the University of Colorado”, a body corporate, acting on behalf of the University of Colorado Boulder Only your contracting officer can sign a contractual agreement. .Even if there are no funds in an agreement, it still must be reviewed and signed by OCG.

What does OCG need to review and sign a research sponsored contract?

  1. Proposal Submission Request (PSR)
  2. Written contract (if applicable in Word or PDF version)
  3. Statement of Work
  4. Budget (if applicable)

Are there special circumstances that could delay the signing of a research sponsored contract?

Some research sponsored contracts require additional steps that need to be completed in a timely manner, working with OCG can avoid a delay in the contract negotiation and acceptance process.  Please note that if these matters are not resolved, it will delay signature of your contract. The Contract Officer reviewing your contract will let you know if other items are required.

List of common issues:

  1. Conflict of Interest
  2. Internal Review Board approval
  3. Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approval
  4. Export Controls
  5. Intellectual Property
  6. Other Terms & Conditions review and negotiation.
  7. Indemnification

Who do I contact if I have questions about a research sponsored contract?

Please send your email to ocgcontracts@colorado.edu.