NIH recently finished a major overhaul to Biosketches and Other Support documents.
Changes will be in effect for all proposals and progress reports (RPPRs) due on/after 05/25/2021.
Full details are available in NOT-OD-21-073. Below are highlights of significant changes.
- Word format or SciENcv template required.
- New Biosketch detailed instructions and template link.
- Education/Training: include education and training information in chronological order.
Section “A. Personal Statement” Changes:
- Statement can now include ongoing/completed research projects from the past 3 years.
Section “B. Positions, Scientific Appointments, and Honors” Changes:
- ‘Positions and Honors’ has been renamed ‘Positions, Scientific Appointments, and Honors’.
- List in reverse chronological order all positions and scientific appointments both domestic and foreign, including affiliations with foreign entities or governments. This includes titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received, and whether full-time/part-time/voluntary.
Section D removed except for Fellowship Applicants:
- For the non-Fellowship Biosketch, Section D has been completely removed.
- For the Fellowship Biosketch, Section D has been updated to remove ‘Research Support’ and has been renamed “D. Scholastic Performance”.
- Word format template required (SciENcv is still in development).
- New Other Support detailed instructions and template link.
- The format page has been re-organized to separate funded projects from in-kind contributions. In-kind contributions not intended for use on the proposal being proposed must be reported; in-kind contributions intended for use on the project being proposed should be included in the proposal’s Facilities and Other Resources or Equipment documents and not as part of the Other Support.
- In addition to Current and Pending Support, Other Support now requires inclusion of “Completed Support” completed within the past three years. Person months should not to be included for Completed Support.
- Signature block added for Principal Investigator or Other Senior/Key Personnel to certify the accuracy of the information submitted. Each PI or Senior/Key Person must electronically sign their respective Other Support form as a PDF prior to submission.
- Supporting Documentation: For Other Support submissions that include foreign activities and resources, recipients are required to submit copies of contracts, grants or any other agreement specific to senior/key personnel foreign appointments and/or employment with a foreign institution as supporting documentation. If they are not in English, recipients must provide translated copies. This supporting documentation must be provided as part of the Other Support PDF following the Other Support Format page.
Other Support includes all resources made available to a researcher in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether or not they have monetary value and regardless of whether they are based at the institution the researcher identifies for the current grant.
Undisclosed Other Support Discovered:
If there is an omission in your submitted other support document, notify OCG immediately.