Interested in pursuing a Music Minor at the University of Colorado Boulder College of Music? Get your questions answered here and email for more info.

What are the eligibility requirements for admission to the Minor in Music program?

The Music Minor is open to all students in good academic standing who have a sincere interest in making music a part of their university education, regardless of prior experience levels or backgrounds.

How and when do I declare for admission to the Minor in Music?

Complete the declaration form on the College of Music website. You must have a CU GPA to declare the minor, i.e., the earliest you may declare is your second semester at CU Boulder. The minor must be declared by junior year.

Can I enroll in applied lessons toward Music Minor credit?

While applied study is not required as part of the Music Minor program, it is possible for minor students to count up to four credits of applied study toward the “Creating Music Electives” category. This requires a successful audition, applied faculty approval (minor students would normally study with a Doctoral Teaching Assistant) and adequate studio space.

How many credits are required to earn a Minor in Music?

The College of Music offers a 19-credit Music Minor for students across the CU Boulder campus.

What is the minimum grade needed to earn course credit toward the Music Minor?

Grades in courses applied to the Music Minor must be a C- or higher.

Do courses in the Music Minor program curriculum count toward A&S General Education requirements?

Many elective course options for the Music Minor have been approved for the Arts & Sciences General Education requirements.

What courses are required as part of the Music Minor?

Students pursuing the Music Minor are required to complete a basic music theory course and participate in at least one music ensemble. Beyond that, students may choose among a variety of course options focused on creating or making music, as well as appreciating and thinking about music in relation to historical or sociocultural issues.

Can credits be transferred into the Music Minor program?

A maximum of six credits from an accredited music school may be transferred and applied toward the Music Minor. Grades in courses applied to the Music Minor must be C- or higher.

Can I run a Music Minor degree audit to check degree requirements even if I’m not yet officially declared?

Yes. Run a What If Audit, selecting Music Minor under the College of Music.

I’m a freshman and don’t yet have a CU GPA or 12 CU credits. When can I apply for admission?

You need a CU GPA to apply. You can apply anytime after the first semester of your freshman year and gain admission as early as your second semester at CU Boulder.

I’m a transfer student and don’t yet have a CU GPA or 12 CU credits. When can I apply for admission?

You can apply for admission using the GPA and credits earned from your previous institution.

I’m a Music Major thinking about switching majors and becoming a Music Minor. Do any of my major classes transfer into the minor?

Yes, a maximum of four credits of applied instruction completed may be applied toward the “Creating Music Electives” requirement. Also, completed music ensemble credits can be applied toward Music Minor ensemble requirements; as well, “Intro to Musicial Styles” can be applied toward “Thinking Music Electives.”

I’ve been waitlisted. Can I start taking Music Minor courses now?

If you’ve been waitlisted, it means that the cohort you’ve applied to is full and we cannot accommodate additional students at this time. However, you do not need to wait until you’ve been taken off the waitlist to enroll in MUEL courses as they are open to any CU Boulder student other than Music Majors.

I’ve been waitlisted. Does this mean I need to reapply for admission next semester?

No need to reapply. If you’ve been waitlisted, you meet eligibility requirements and have been formally admitted into the next entering cohort. Expect an email before next semesters’ course registration with details on your formal admission into the Music Minor.

Who is my Music Minor advisor?

Mark Arnett. Contact him at

I’m thinking of becoming a Music Major. Can my minor courses be applied to the major?

Yes, EMUS music ensemble courses applicable to your primary instrument and specific degree program can be applied. Most MUEL courses cannot be applied, but you may petition for some courses with similar content to required MUSC courses to be applied.

I plan on taking a semester or two off from the Music Minor. Is that okay?

Yes, you may take time off from the Music Minor as long as you complete it in six semesters or less.

I plan on studying abroad. Can music courses taken abroad count toward the minor?

Music Minor courses must be taken at CU Boulder.

I don’t have time to complete the Music Minor before graduation. Can I complete the minor after I graduate?

No. University policy does not allow students to complete a minor after graduation.

I need to practice for my music ensemble or applied lessons. Do Music Minors have practice room access?

Music minors have limited practice room access in the east wing basement and the south wing second floor of the Imig Music Building during regular building hours (7 a.m.-11 p.m.) on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to the main practice room corridors is restricted to Music Majors only. 

Can I take Music Minor courses pass/fail?

No, all coursework must be taken for a letter grade.

How do I drop the Music Minor?

Submit your intentions to drop the Music Minor by sending us an email at

If admitted, when will the Music Minor be officially added to my record?

Declaration forms submitted during any given semester will be reviewed and processed at the end of said term, after grades are submitted.

If I feel that I have more advanced theory/aural skills than what is required per the Basic Music Theory (MUEL 1081) course description. May I take Music Major-level theory/aural instead?

You may take the Theory/Aural Skills placement test offered each fall (in the week before classes begin) for placement consideration into major-level theory. To reserve your spot, contact us at after Aug. 1.