What does "student share of tuition" mean?

The Colorado State Legislature provides direct funding to undergraduate, in-state students through the College Opportunity Fund (COF). Students must apply for and authorize use of the COF, which will then be applied to the student's tuition & fee bill. The remaining portion of tuition is referred to as the "student's share" of tuition.

Which fees are considered mandatory?

CU Promise Grant promises to offer enough grants to pay for the student share of tuition and mandatory fees. See the Bursar's webpage for a list of mandatory fees. Some fees, like the New Student Fee and program specific fees are not covered. However, you can use your work-study earnings to cover remaining education costs.

What if a student is no longer eligible for Federal Pell Grant?

If a student is not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, they are not eligible for the CU Promise.

Please note: Even if a student is eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, they are not guaranteed to be eligible for the CU Promise.

How does the CU Promise impact other resources or scholarships?

In accordance with federal and state requirements, the CU Promise cannot exceed the student's financial need; therefore, scholarships and other resources could potentially reduce the overall CU Promise amount.

What aid is available for a CU Promise student who goes on Education Abroad (Study Abroad)?

Students who are enrolled in an eligible education abroad program will receive only the amount of funding they would be eligible for if they were enrolled on the Boulder campus. However, a student may choose to accept a loan to cover additional education abroad expenses.

Will the amount be adjusted for students who change majors?

Yes; grant amounts for students who transfer between one CU Boulder school or college and another will be adjusted.

Can a student receive CU Promise for summer courses?

No. CU Promise is only available for fall and spring semesters.

What if a student transfers to another CU campus?

This program is specifically for students who attend CU Boulder. However, students should contact the campus they are interested in attending to find out what financial aid is available.