The FAFSA asks some hard questions and each school handles their financial aid differently - it can be confusing. We've listed some FAQs here to help.

Can I use 2018 income and tax information for the 2019-20 academic year?

No. 2018 income and tax information will be used when you apply for the 2020-21 academic year; however, if you have unusual circumstances such as loss of income or high medical expenses you may submit an appeal to our office.

What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The most important thing to know: the earlier you apply, the better! For most schools, some types of funding (like grants) are first-come, first-served. Schools usually provide a "priority date" which is a date they recommend you complete the FAFSA by so you don't miss out on funding you could have been eligible for.

If that timeline isn't possible for you - it's ok! You can still apply for financial aid well into the semester. We recommend you speak to a financial aid counselor about your specific timeline.

Do I have to apply for admission before I list CU Boulder on my FAFSA?

Nope. Our FAFSA school code is 001370. List us and we'll get your FAFSA when the time is right!

Will my 2018–19 FAFSA information be carried over onto the 2019–20 FAFSA?

If you choose the Renewal FAFSA option when you start your application, some basic information from your 2018–19 FAFSA will be prepopulated in your 2019–20 FAFSA. However, you should review all information and be prepared to answer tax questions based on two years prior (i.e. 2017 for 2019-20).

What if my parents’ (or my) marital status has changed since we filed 2017 taxes? How do we supply tax and income information on the FAFSA?

Here are some tips for this type of situation:

  • The FAFSA asks for marital status “as of today” (the day it’s filled out). So if the student or parent is married now but wasn’t in 2017 (and therefore didn’t file taxes as married), the spouse’s income will need to be added to the FAFSA.
  • Similarly, if the student or parent filed 2017 taxes as married but is no longer married when filling out the FAFSA, the spouse’s income will need to be subtracted.
  • And if the student or parent was married when filing 2017 taxes, then got divorced and is now married to someone else, there’s a bit more math to do: Subtract the ex’s income, then add the new spouse’s income.
  • The help text in the FAFSA will provide more information for these situations.