- First fall bills are available in mid-August. First spring bills are available in mid-January.
- Email notifications are sent to students at their colorado.edu email address.
- Parents and family members who are authorized payers will also receive email notifications.
- Financial aid is applied to the bill beginning on the Monday before the first day of class for fall and spring or 7 days before the start of summer classes.
You may see the following "direct costs" on the university bill:
The following costs are considered "indirect costs" and they are not on the university bill:
- Transportation expenses included in the cost of attendance (COA) for federal financial aid
- Personal expenses included in the COA for federal financial aid
- Medical expenses (unless billed by Health and Wellness Services) included for graduate students in the COA
- Application fee
- Confirmation deposit
- On-campus housing security deposit
Students access billing information and billing-related tasks in Buff Portal. Parents and families do not automatically have access to view the bill, but students can give them access to CUBill&Pay by authorizing them as payers. If you have more than one student attending CU Boulder, each student needs to set you up as an authorized payer separately.
- Students log in to Buff Portal (buffportal.colorado.edu)
- Locate the Tuition & Fees card. It will be on the main Buff Portal page. Then click "Account Setup."
- Click "Authorize Payers."
- Enter your authorized payer’s name and email address. Then create a login name for them. Click "Save."
- An email with the login name will be sent to the authorized payer’s email address that you entered. They will then be prompted to set a password. You can add up to five authorized payers (click Add New). You can delete them at any time. They will be notified by email when their status changes.
Authorized payers receive monthly notifications when tuition and fee bills are available online only if there is new activity like charges, payments or credits during the month prior. They will also receive transactional emails such as payment confirmations and payment plan notifications. If your authorized payer access is removed, you will no longer receive emails notifying you when tuition bills are available online, when 1098T forms are available, etc. Your student can reauthorize your access at any time.
- Students go to the Tuition & Fees card in Buff Portal.
- Click "Account Setup" and "Authorize Payers."
- Click the 'x' next to the authorized payer you want to delete. They will be notified by email that the account has been deleted.
Provided that all documentation has been submitted correctly and on time, financial aid usually begins being applied to the bill about a week before the first day of class. (Please note: if you are enrolled in a session that does not follow traditional fall and spring semester dates published on the academic calendar, your aid will begin being applied about one week before the first day of your class, not the first day of the semester.) If there is a delay, review your aid and complete any outstanding To-Do items in Buff Portal.
Federal regulations determine what charges are covered by federal aid and when aid can be applied to the tuition bill.. To learn more, see Apply Aid to All University Charges.
Please see Apply aid to All University Charges for instructions.