Refunds typically result from schedule adjustments, health insurance waivers, overpayments, financial aid, or confirmation deposits. There are two important things to keep in mind about refunds:
- Regardless of who paid the bill (except for parent loan refunds designated for the parent borrower), refunds are issued in the student's name.
- Refunds reflect current account activity. It is possible that you could see new charges on your bill after getting a refund (due to schedule changes, enrollment in waitlisted classes, or financial aid adjustments, for example) and you are responsible for paying the new charges. Also, Continuing Education classes are billed separately so it is possible to get a refund from your Main Campus student account and still owe a bill to Continuing Education.
Financial Aid Refunds
Financial aid begins applying to bills the Monday before the first day of classes. Check your To-Dos in Buff Portal to secure your funds. If your financial aid exceeds the amount of your bill, you can expect the financial aid refund to be processed around the Friday before classes start. Set up direct deposit to avoid a delay in getting your refund.
Financial aid refunds will be available starting around the following dates (dates may be subject to change):
- Fall 2023: Friday, Aug. 25
- Spring 2024: by Wed., Jan. 11 (Updated!)
- Summer 2024: TBD
Confirmation Deposit Refunds
Your confirmation deposit will be refunded about eight weeks after graduation, less any outstanding charges.
Withdrawals or Leave of Absence
If you withdraw by established deadlines, the confirmation deposit will be applied to any outstanding charges first, which may include a withdrawal fee. The remainder will be refunded to you about 6–8 weeks after your withdrawal. Upon returning to CU, you will need to pay the confirmation deposit again before you can register for classes.
New Students Who Do Not Attend Classes
New, readmitted and transfer students who do not attend classes forfeit the confirmation deposit and are not eligible for a refund.
Credit Card Refunds
If your bill was paid by a credit card, the refund will be returned to the credit card company. The 2.85% service fee charged by NelNet Campus Commerce is nonrefundable. Credit card refunds are processed weekly.
Housing Deposit Refunds
Housing deposits are generally released after spring semester ends in mid-June. For more information, visit Housing & Dining.
Parent Loan Refunds
Refunds for parent loans are issued weekdays by check to the person (parent or student) indicated on the borrower’s application. Parent loan refunds are not eligible for direct deposit. For more information, visit Parent Loans.
If you paid tuition and fees and withdraw from the semester within established deadlines, you may be eligible for a refund. For more information, visit Withdraw from the Semester.
Returning Students and the Confirmation Deposit
First-years, new transfers: Please log in to your application at ugrad.apply.colorado.edu/status to pay your confirmation deposit. Do not follow these instructions to pay your confirmation deposit.
Returning students: Because you receive your confirmation deposit back when you take a break from school (whether it is applied to outstanding charges or refunded), you need to pay it again if you return.
Repaying the Confirmation Deposit
- Make sure your IdentiKey is activated.
- Log in to Buff Portal.
- Locate the Tuition & Fees card and click on the overflow menu (the three vertical dots in the upper right corner).
- Click "Confirmation Deposit."
- Click "Pay Deposit" and follow the instructions to complete your payment.