When you are unable to login to eRA, you will receive one of the following error messages:
- Login Error: Bad username/password, please contact UMS helpdesk (error code: umsad, 0)
- Solution: The Boulder campus was not selected. Re-enter your login credentials and select Boulder for your campus.
- Login Error: Bad username/password, please contact UCB helpdesk (error code: identikey, 0)
- Solution: Your username/password combination was incorrect. Re-enter your login credentials, select Boulder as your campus and try again.
- Login Error: Your profile has not been setup within InfoEd. Please contact your system administrator.
- Solution: Your CU Identikey was not granted eRA access. Contact your department's Personnel/Payroll Liaison (PPL) and ask for a Person of Interest (POI) number (see question below) with eRA and DEPA access. It may take between 1 - 3 days for you to gain access.
If you receive an error that stops you from completing your submission, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org. To best help you please include the following information when possible:
- Type of computer (i.e. PC or Mac)
- Operating system (e.g. Windows 7)
- Internet browser and version number (e.g. Firefox 26.0)
- Description of task you were trying to complete when error presented itself
- Screenshot of the error message (Example of Screenshot) – if you cannot take a screenshot please try to provide as much of the text from the error as possible
You may obtain a CITI completion report from www.citiprogram.org. You will need the username and password you created for the CITI website. If you do not remember this information contact CITI support.
Once you have logged into your CITI account, you may print your completion report from the main menu. If you do not see the appropriate course listed on this page, see this tutorial.
In order to have access to the Electronic Research Administration Portal (eRA), you need to have an employment relationship with the university. If none exists – which is common for students – you will need to obtain a Person of Interest number (POI#).
POI#s can be requested from your department Personnel Payroll Liaison (PPL). Be sure to request a POI# that specifically has the “Electronic Research Admin” type/privilege (POI Type "00033 - Training Access" or POI Type “00007 - External Trainee” or POI Type “00015- Security Access”) or you will not be able to access eRA and will need to contact the PPL again.
The POI# will take 1-3 days to become active once it is given the correct privileges. The IRB does not have a list of PPLs. Contact your department's front desk to find your PPL.
Are you a PPL looking for research compliance POI guidance? See Student POIs for specific instructions.
The security mismatch error usually happens for one of two reasons:
Reason #1: The file you are uploading is in use or open in another program.
Solution: Close any other program that may be accessing the file (e.g. Adobe Acrobat, MS Word, etc.) and attempt the upload again.
Reason #2: You are using Firefox and the browser cannot read the file.
Solution: If you are using a Windows PC switch to Internet Explorer. If you are using a Mac, switch to Safari. Attempt the upload again.
If neither of these solutions work, email a screenshot of the error to the IRB office email.
Not all students need to obtain a POI number. The answer depends on which systems you need to access.
If you need a POI number, visit the "What is a Person of Interest (POI) number and how do I get it?" question above.
Are you a PPL looking for research compliance POI guidance? See the Student POIs question above for specific instructions.
If a submission has already been sent to the IRB Office or to a faculty advisor for review, email the IRB Office and a staff member will have the submission sent back to you. Do not create a new submission (e.g. Amendment, Initial Application, etc.).
The University of Colorado Boulder’s FWA is #00003492. The FWA Expiration date is December 20, 2020.
The University of Colorado Boulder has two panels each with its own respective number:
- IRB #1 (Social Behavioral) – 00000191
- IRB # 2 (Biomedical) - IRB00000774
To obtain this information, contact the institution's IRB. Sometimes this information is also listed on the institution’s IRB website. Alternately, you may also be able to find this information on the OHRP Database.
- Go to https://era.cu.edu and login with your CU identikey and password. Select “Boulder” for the campus. The My Open Action Items screen will load.
- On the left side of the screen, click the on the My Human Subjects menu. The menu will expand.
- In the menu, click on Create New. A new window will open.
- In the new window, the “New Human Protocol in Human Subjects Development” radio button will be selected. Click the Continue button to confirm this selection. The screen will refresh.
- Enter the title of your new study. Click the Continue button. The screen will refresh.
- If you will be the PI for this study, confirm your name is selected. If someone else will be the PI, select their name from the list. Click the Continue button. The protocol creation window will close and a new Submission window will open. Your protocol number will be listed in the top right corner of the screen in this format: ##-#### (e.g. 14-0813).
If you already had an account that was associated with your CU email address, then your account was linked to your identikey during the initial SSO conversion.
If you are missing your current training record, it is likely you have multiple accounts with CITI and the primary account was set to an account you do not use. To remedy the situation, email the CITI Program help desk and request an account merge. You will need to provide the following information:
- Your first and last name
- Affiliated institution (“University of Colorado at Boulder”)
- Username of account to keep (i.e. the account linked to your Identikey)
- Username of account(s) to merge
You can retrieve your usernames through the CITI automated retrieval system.