RIO Proposal Writing Support
The Research & Innovation Office (RIO) provides proposal development services to help increase the competitiveness of grant proposals. Services can include writing, editing, proofreading, project management and rigorous proposal review. Support is also available to convene multiple faculty across campus to foster collaboration on funding opportunities. Based on availability, RIO staff offer proposal support for the following:
Proposal support for programs for internal funding at CU Boulder is not provided.
Proposal reviews include comments and suggestions that:
- highlight where the proposal can better align with funder guidelines and priorities;
- help to enhance the proposal’s structure;
- make specific grammatical suggestions and edits;
- generally assist in helping produce a high-quality, competitive proposal.
No budget development assistance is provided through this service, but RIO can direct you to the appropriate Proposal Analyst in the Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) who can assist.
Eligibility for Support
All CU Boulder Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty, Instructors and Senior Instructors, and Career Track Research Faculty (i.e., Research Professors Series, Senior Research Associates (SRA), and Research Associates (RA)) who hold an appointment of half-time or greater are eligible for support. Postdoctoral Associates, Postdoctoral Fellows and Research Associates/Senior Research Associates in short-term, transitional postdoctoral training positions are not eligible for support. Support is subject to the proposal writer’s availability.
If proposal support is sought for proposals to philanthropic organizations or by faculty in the College of Engineering and Applied Science, please see the “Other Campus Proposal Support” section below.
Guidelines and Process
Step 1: Click Here to Request Proposal Support
Step 2: Initial Consultation
- After the Proposal Support Form is reviewed, and if approved, the proposal writer will meet with the faculty member(s) and determine the scope of support needed and the amount of time involved.
Step 3: Proposal Review Process and Timeline
- The faculty and proposal writer will develop a plan and agree to deadlines for the first and near final draft reviews. This is not firm protocol, but generally speaking,
- If a draft is provided at least 3 weeks before a sponsor deadline, two rounds of review and edits can be provided.
- If a draft is provided between 2-3 weeks before a sponsor deadline, there will be one review.
- Note: If a draft is provided under 2 weeks of a sponsor deadline, the review is subject to the proposal writer’s availability and may not be possible.
After support is offered, RIO will contact faculty to complete a survey to provide input on the experience (i.e. what worked well, areas to improve). Faculty agree to complete the survey by utilizing the service.
Other Campus Proposal Support
Engineering & Applied Science Proposal Support
For faculty in the College of Engineering and Applied Science seeking proposal support, please contact the CEAS Research Support Office.
Philanthropic & Foundation Proposal Support
For assistance developing proposals for philanthropic organizations, please contact the Industry and Foundation Relations team in the Office of Advancement.